If I get an MR-8, do I need a mixer?

Mons

I think I have decided upon buying an MR-8 and importing the dry tracks I lay down directly to my PC where I will use Ntrack to mix. My recording will primarily consist of vocals and the occasional bit of acoustic guitar. Do I need a mixer?

mixer

most people find the signal is not hot enough without some sort of pre amp. Lots of inexpensive options out there, do a search here and you will find specifinc brands. Many just use a pre amp, i like the mixer route. I have a 12 channel peavey unity series mixer, i mix drum tracks with that, and run all vocals and other instruments through the mixer to increse the gain, and i get the use of the mixers eq's, which the mr 8 does not have. If your going to a computer anyway, a pre amp may be all you need.

Well, ultimately, my vocals will be mixed with a couple of my friend's guitar, bass and drums. They live long distance, so I would be essentially emailing them my vocal track(s) (or posting them on one of their websites if the file is too large). I'm trying to find the best method for recording my vocals and eventually getting them to the computer for mixing. I thought that getting the MR-8 would be my solution, but having to buy a mixer as well leads me to believe that my other idea of buying an Aardvard Direct Pro 24/96 soundcard solution might be better. I have an SM58 mic. What do you think?

Back