idm sequencing tips

n8tron

I'd like to get into more fast intricate drum beat sequencing but i am having a hard time getting motivated and getting things accomplished with a standard sequencer. I find myself looking at the screen and moving notes around rather than performing. I mainly use pro tools and Live 5.

what do these guys use for sequencing this kind of stuff?

I'm into the gentler stuff such as hood, mum, notwist, etc. also i love the drum programming on bjork's vespertine.

any tips?

I find myself looking at the screen and moving notes around rather than performing

that's the hard part about sequencing, especially if you are a player...luckily I haven't had the need to program anything for a short while, but when it comes around that I have to, it's more tedious than it is fun.

I'd say get Reaktor. There are some great beatmashing ensembles that will get you that IDM stuff pretty easily.

noisewreck said:
I'd say get Reaktor. There are some great beatmashing ensembles that will get you that IDM stuff pretty easily.

I'll have to take a closer look at it.

Native Instruments have presented me with quite a debacle. I pretty much want everything that they make, but I will not, in the near future, have enough money for Komplete 3. But you save so much money, so I can either get one or two programs relatively soon, or just wait until I have enough money, god knows when for komplete.

erm, didn't mean to hijack my own thread...

any other tips/ideas?

the thing that puts the I in IDM is all that tedium of programming intricate beats, wild sounds, and creative mangling in general. it can't really be hacked, you can smell a hack job a mile away. don't be one of those losers.

that being said; a good way of destroying drum parts is to take a basic break beat, say 2 bars long (8 beats), break it up into 1/4 and 1/8th note chunks in sonar or acid and rearrange them. try using midi delay and arpeggiators too. just keep crunching it up and sifting out the crap. the rest is magic. magic is 60% luck and 40% marijuana.

xistenz said:
the thing that puts the I in IDM is all that tedium of programming intricate beats, wild sounds, and creative mangling in general. it can't really be hacked, you can smell a hack job a mile away. don't be one of those losers.
Tell that to Autechre who use MAX/MSP in rather creative ways to mess with stuff down to the granular level :)

noisewreck said:
Tell that to Autechre who use MAX/MSP in rather creative ways to mess with stuff down to the granular level :)

i think that would fall into the "wild sounds, and creative mangling in general" which i was referring to. :confused:

Ah, and I was referring to the "tedium of programming intricate beats". Automated/algorithmic beatmangling is used far more often than anyone cares to admit :)

altitude909 said:
AudioMulch, Plogue, and of course the IDM darling MAX/MSP are all worth looking at

i downloaded the demo for max/msp the day before i started this thread. It seems as powerful as it is complicated, and just as expensive...

I downloaded this program for it:

http://1xn.org/osxtools/middlemarch

but it hasn't been working properly for me. I get it running, but when i press the hotkeys that are assigned to trigger the sounds they only seem to work occasionally... i'm not much of a software programmer so i'm kinda lost when it comes to max/msp.

Thanks for the tips though... i'm looking at audiomulch and plogue now..

Play the song in real time on a drum machine or keyboard. With overdubbing of drum parts, snare, bass drum, cymbals, etc....... Not that hard to sound semi convincing

Back