ideas, tricks, and pure magic!!!

whats figure 8 mean?

Obviously this is a new world for me. I keep seeing the term figure 8 when setting up mikes for recording?

whatsupwitdat and whatdodatmean?

Figure for 8 is also known as bidirectional, when using a figure of 8 setting or mic, it means that the microphones polar response literally picks up equally from two opposite directions. There aren't a lot of situations which require this polar pattern. One possibility would be an interview with two people facing each other (with the mic between them).

okay... bear with me.

take a less favored mic... prefferably a condenser, (SDC) and let it hang freely inside a large plastic juice or soda bottle... i preffer a 96oz Old Orchard apple juice bottle... it just simply sounds better than any other bottle... more flavor, less calories. you know the drill. then use this mic as a room mic... i thought it was pretty cool!!! for certain things... like maybe a distant drum break... just a cooky effect that you may love or hate for a particular project.

Jacob

Try a shotgun mic or line array mic about 15-20ft. off the drum kit aimed at the snare drum [from between the H/H and the Kik drum] at about the same elevation as the snare drum... it adds a 3rd dimension to the audio like nobody's business.

Back