Ideal 16/24 track and mixer combo?

Yeah, I can tell all the other analog guys on here are like "stay away from that thread!" :)

No one wants to fire this debate up. But yeah, I know a lot of my favorite artists on major labels and not major labels record onto tape, and they sound great.

I understand if you're running a commercial studio for profit, that it would be hard to justify tape costs to clients who just want their album to sound as good as possible.

But I don't think that one is better than the other. It really does just come down to preference.

I personally enjoy all of the hardware associated with analog recording vs. plugins and staring at waveforms. It's not that I think recording digitally is bad. I know a lot of records that I love, were recorded digitally and they sound awesome. It's really just a preference.

Anyway, ffg, I do respect your opinion. It sounds like you have been recording for a lot longer than I have. It sounds like you've been down the analog road years ago, and you're happier recording digitally now because it gives you better results. I respect that. Can I ask what your general recording setup is these days? I'm just curious.

I started out recording on Pro Tools, and no, I couldn't get the sound that I wanted. And I didn't enjoy sitting in front of the computer. That's really what it came down to. It felt more like "work" to me when I would be in front of the computer for days on end. That's just me though. :)

Back