Idea for (metal)frame-type rackmount tower/stand

smop

Im thinking of making a rackmount tower (for holding rack boxes..) using basically just
8-pieces of metal and/or sturdy L shaped rack rail. thought Id share the idea here..

I wanted something with open sides for easier access and for maybe placing things in rack that stick out further. thought about different designs for a while. came up with this. It seems to be the most efficient/balance of sturdy, re-adjustable, simple/cheapest/minimal , in comfortable angle , etc.. etc..

just 4 pieces of metal rail for the bottom , and 4 for the top pieces
(Teepee/triangle design)
so its like a square on the floor, with two triangles connected perpendicular/vertical for the sides.
Thinking of using just using L shaped "rack rails"(pieces of metal with holes in the right places) tightened together with bolts at all joints etc..

(I was going to paste text diagrams I made here but Id does not appear to be possible because they come out entirely f*$#ed up..)

I guess the lengths for the pieces Im thinking of particularly would be about 20" each for the 4 bottom pieces and 62" each for the 4 tall pieces , so I guess it would be about 5.5 feet tall. Im wondering about balance though being that high .. and not sure what size wheels would be best.. ( now Im not sure if this thing would be dangerously heavy in the proportions I am considering.. when filled with modules .. : -O )

Im wondering why no companys are selling metal frame rack stands/towers - seems it would be super simple/cheap to make and ship ..

Id be interested in comments and other ideas..

Ben

Back