Id like better meters in PT...

thajeremy

registered abuser
I remember the days of using Adobe Audition...I love the numbered meter that was included with AA...I miss it greatly....PT's meters arent numbered and there is no way of knowing what actual levels are comming...anyone know of a plug or something you can put on your master fader that will give you some sort of scale or meter or something????

I remember the days of using Adobe Audition...I love the numbered meter that was included with AA...I miss it greatly....PT's meters arent numbered and there is no way of knowing what actual levels are comming...anyone know of a plug or something you can put on your master fader that will give you some sort of scale or meter or something????

What version are you running. I know that versions 7 and 8 are numbered, unless you're in Narrow Mix mode. Go to your mix window and type Ctrl+Alt+M (windows) or Command+Option+M (mac) and your channels should widen out.

It should look like this:
3tracks_in_pro_tools_8.jpg

The numbers on the left are for your fader. Like if you push it to the very top it's at +12dB. The numbers on your right are for the signal itself, from 0dBFS to -60dBFS (any lower and it's pretty much silence). Your fader will affect the meter unless your using pre-fader metering (I think it's under the options menu).

Oh, and if you want more options for metering, theres a "phase scope" that comes bundled with Pro Tools:
digi9phasescope_l.jpg

There's a few different types of metering on your left, some other tools you may find handy for metering in there. I've never really used it myself.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
im running 7.3, but I do keep it in narrow mix view...Iv never noticed the numbers in wide view...Ill have to check that out...thanks...

im running 7.3, but I do keep it in narrow mix view...Iv never noticed the numbers in wide view...Ill have to check that out...thanks...

I recently reverted back to 7.4cs10, and you're right, there's no numbers.

BUT, as I pointed out above, there are metering plug-ins. And, below the track type indicator is a Vol/Pk/Dly indicator, Ctrl-Click (Windows) or Command-Click (Mac) to switch between the three.

When on Vol, it shows you how far the fader is pushed up or down (-inf dB to +12dB). When on Pk, it shows you the level of the last recorded peak of the signal (it doesn't seem to be doing anything here though :confused: ), and when on Dly, it shows you the amount of delay (in samples) that your plugins are causing on that track.

Back