Ibanez TS-808 Stomp Box Is A Bust!

PlasticMoonRain

Just picked up the Ibanez Tube Screamer 808, just waiting to bust this baby out. At the Guitar Center, the salesperson says if I have a problem with it, I should bring it back. She then pointed to this weird power adapter that comes with it.

OK, well, she was right. For some wacky reason, the output on this pedal is alarmingly low, AC adapter or battery power. First I put it into my Fender Blues Jr., and had to crank both the preamp and the post to get a good volume. Sounded awesome, but it took a lot of work just to get it audible.

For the hell of it, I put it into a Fender Bassman 25, cranked every knob up to the max and it played very low.

So now, needless to say, I'm returning it. But I'm frustrated, because this was one big tease -- it sounded great, but there's no real output power.

Anybody else have these kinds of problems with this pedal or any other Ibanez box?

THANKS.

Drew

Hey Drew,

No problems with the TS 808 at this end, so it must be your pedal, just swap it for another one where you bought if from and enjoy the nice sounds you can get with this pedal.

Regarding the output level: I think the Boss ones have more output than the TS, but not sure about that one, so just swap your pedal for another one and you'll be fine.

Enjoy :)

Eddie

The 808 is an industry standard. You either got a dud or have something else messed up in your signal chain (bad cable, etc....)

A

The 808 is a low output device by design. I doubt there is anything wrong with the pedal itself. Perhaps the problem, as someone else suggested, is in your signal chain.

I use mine for one purposes; overloading the preamp tubes that extra little bit at high volumes. This is an SRV technique you might want to try if you dig that screaming, sustaining sound. Simply set the tone according to your ear, set the Tude Screamer near full with the overdrive down around 3 and let it rip. I think you'll like what you hear.

P.S. I am assuming you're amp is not solid-state. If it is you might be SOL with this pedal anyway, I dont know because I dont play them.

Back