Ibanez SC10: perfect chorus for me, save for the slight distortion it ads. Solutions?

chrisghost

I'm in a Post-Punk/New Wave band influenced by Siouxsie and the Banshees etc. So clean chorus sounds are vital to me. I have three different chorus pedals on my board, one of them is an Ibanez SC10.

I love the SC10, it can make clean, single notes ring out like a bell (width open full, speed opened modestly). At least it seemed that way in rehearsal spaces.

In the studio however we found out that it ads just a little bit of distortion. We had two SC10's on hand and both had the same problem. It's just a little bit of distortion, but enough to make it unusable for clean sounds.

So the question is; does anyone know if this can be fixed.

I did. But there's nothing like the SC10, so I'm trying to find out if it's salvagable. But I'm sure you got that the first time.

What I got is that you said you have three chorus pedals but you want to use the one that you yourself said is "unusable"? Again, instead of trying to mod it, use a different chorus. There are only about umpteen dozen chorus pedals out there. Go try some out and buy the one that is usable.

Are you sure the distortion is coming from the pedal and not something after it? Where does it go from the pedal - an amp, an interface, or...?

If it is actually the pedal, you could try turning down whatever is going into it. The V pot on the guitar is the easy way to do it, but that can change the tone, and if that's unacceptable, then things get a bit more complicated.

I'd have to look at the schematic, and better yet the actual markings on some of the components (mostly cap ratings), but you might get more headroom by using more than 9V as power supply. If you had a 12V DC center-negative wallwart with a connector that actually fits you could try it. It probably won't explode.

Hi Ashcat, thanks, very helpful, I'll give that a try. We did check the signal chain ofcourse, but it was the pedal. Alas.

@Greg: I tried most any chorus pedal out there, from cheap to boutique. Nothing sounds like the SC10. Just like nothing sounds like the CE-1. So please, indulge me.

I have a Boss CH1 now which is clear as a bell, you tried that?

You must of changed something between the rehersal space and the studio. Can't you think what it could be?

I have a Boss CH1 now which is clear as a bell, you tried that?

You must of changed something between the rehersal space and the studio. Can't you think what it could be?
That's something I missed entirely. Are you playing through an amp at practice and then trying to record direct?

Back