"I Won't Tell" First Mix from New Studio

BurnBarfield

I just recently moved out of my parents house and have made two rooms of my new place into a studio. This is the first mix with my new setup and room. Please don't comment on songwriting as I did not write this, it is for a client.

I realize that the bass may be off, as I'm trying to get used to this new environment, but the equipment is as follows..

Vocals - Groove Tubes GT60
Acoutic - Groove Tubes GT60
Bass - DI'ed into a Behringer ADA8000 then ran through Amplitude 2
Kick - Audix D6
Snare - Audix I5
High Tom - Sennheiser e609 Silver
Low Tom - Audio Technica Pro 25
Overheads - MXL 991s
Hi Hat - Samson CO something...

Everything was run straight through the Motu8Pre, except the bass, kick and snare. The kick and snare were preamped through an Art MPA Gold. I mixed on Wharfedale 8.2A's (need better monitors).

Now for the song... Final Mix

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8293

Last edited:
Wow! loved it. The music (acoustic and drums) reminded me of Dave Matthews. Killer voice. Awesome!

Your Bro,

Zabadabado

Hi dude,

Can't say I like the song much, but what a voice that dude has! :eek:

The mix is heading in the right direction, but I thought the vocals were a bit too upfront, and the drums often overpower the acoustic a bit. Has trouble picking the bass out, so it sounds like a few low freq clashes going on in there.

Reckon you'd just need to space it all out a bit better.

The overall mix is very loud as well. I know theres this 'loudness war' thing going on, but serious, I've got some thrash records that are quieter than this mix, maybe just back off a little with the 'ole limiter in the mastering stage.

But overall, you've done a pretty job, and again, I can't believe the notes that vocalist can hit. I'd need to stick my nuts in a metalwork vice in order to get my voice that high! :eek:

cheers

Jim (wiping tears from my eyes at the very thought of using a metalwork vice in that unorthadox way!)

It's amazing how much of a range this guy has to be completely honest..

I appreciate all comments and suggestions so far, and I have just finished another mix of this song..

I brought up and eq'ed the bass a bit more..
Added a little high end to the snare and took a little verb away..
Compressed the vocals a bit.

That's all I can really think of that I did, but I think it is more of what they are looking for now.

*Link is at the top to prevent confusion*

the vocalist reminds me of that robin thicke character

nice mix though just needs a little love and will be much better

I like it. Very very dynamic! The second mix is much better dude, the upgrade was worth it. I think the vocals are fine too, the mix just isn't as dense as a lot of songs in this genre. Who cares though? The D6 is a metal mic and you got away with that.

Great job.

First mix was done with headphones, second was done with the monitors, to be completely honest. I gotta say that I never realized what a difference a real room made versus a bedroom setup..

I have another mix but I'm thinking I don't know if I will get a chance to upload it, my internet sucks.

Back