I will review the first 5 pop/rock songs

HangDawg said:
So, who the hell are you? What makes you qualified to rate peoples music? Why only the first 5? Do you have some kind of a problem with metal? Who the hell are you again?

I was going to ask the same... :confused:

any of you guys ever put your stuff on garageband.com? it's pretty much like this guy, only a lot more reviews. I get a kick out of what people say, and sometimes, the reply I can give back to them. (oh man sometimes it is sooo much fun to argue with idiots... not saying you are, but there are a lot of them on this ol' internet.

I will not be reviewing the first 5 anything.

ATTENTION!

I will not review the first 5 songs in general that are posted after this. It doesn't matter what the genre is...pop, rock, hip hop, country, metal...i don't care. I'm not doing it.

No matter what.

And I'm serious. You can't make me review shit.

I may listen to your music. In fact, I probably will. BUT..under no circumstances will I critique the next five songs.

You probably wouldn't care if I gave input anyways. I mean, come on, what do I know? There's a lot more people in here with much more experience than I. I'm sure they'll let you know what your songs sound like.

But not me.

I will not only review finished songs. I will not review partial songs either. Got a good verse? Maybe even a kick ass intro that'll make me piss myself? Too bad. It doesn't matter because I won't tell you.

Pick as many of your songs as you wish for me to ignore.

Include in your info/reply (links without these will not be reviewed...although links with these will also not be reviewed):

1. Working streaming link of one song only:
2. Genre and influences
3. Lyrics.
4. Instruments/ gear used.

I will not give scores from 1 to 10 based on anything other than attractive women. Chances are I won't tell you about them. I'll either inconspiciously notify my buddy of the hot ones or whisper the score quietly under my breath so as not to alert the subject.

Seriously. Watch me.

The following is a list of things that songs typically strive for. Ignore them. It doesn't matter to me.

1. Melody
2. Vocals
3. Instrumentation
4. Lyrics
5. Quality of mix
6. Overall impression

Looking forward to hearing some quality music. Of course, I won't tell you.

Re: Who the hell are you...

HangDawg said:
So, who the hell are you? What makes you qualified to rate peoples music? Why only the first 5? Do you have some kind of a problem with metal? Who the hell are you again?

Sorry if I offended you in some way.

1. So, who the hell are you? I'm a user in this group.
2. What makes you qualified to rate peoples music? I'm no more qualified than anyone else here.
3. Do you have some kind of a problem with metal? No, I have nothing against metal. Just trying to narrow down the responses.
4. Who the hell are you again? I'm a user in this group.

This is not a dead serious, newspaper rating.
It's only me with my very subjective interest and taste, making a thread that you can either read, answer or ignore.
But then again, your meaning of this thread is as good as anyones'.

See you round...

roomx said:
Sorry if I offended you in some way.

1. So, who the hell are you? I'm a user in this group.
2. What makes you qualified to rate peoples music? I'm no more qualified than anyone else here.
3. Do you have some kind of a problem with metal? No, I have nothing against metal. Just trying to narrow down the responses.
4. Who the hell are you again? I'm a user in this group.

This is not a dead serious, newspaper rating.
It's only me with my very subjective interest and taste, making a thread that you can either read, answer or ignore.
But then again, your meaning of this thread is as good as anyones'.

See you round...

I just find it funny when some newb comes flying in here and offers us 5 very genre specific reviews. Like you have something to offer other than your narrow opinion. There are plenty of people here that will do what you offer all day, everyday so don't let us waste your precious time with our 5 crappy songs as we know you have more important business to attend to.

Re:

HangDawg said:
I just find it funny when some newb comes flying in here and offers us 5 very genre specific reviews. Like you have something to offer other than your narrow opinion. There are plenty of people here that will do what you offer all day, everyday so don't let us waste your precious time with our 5 crappy songs as we know you have more important business to attend to.

So what you're saying is something like: "You're stupid because this is not the way we are used to do things 'round here.I don't know you, so you got nothing to say here."

You are right about this, though:" Like you have something to offer other than your narrow opinion." That is all I have. But does that make it any worse than any others opinion?

Hi,

thanks for your review of my record "cant tell me nothin".
Its the most competent review I ever got. Very helpful and challenging for me. Its nice to get more than just one sentence in other threats... :-)

What worries me most with the song, that it doesn't swing enough. The beat is not very fluently..
Don't know why.

Steve

roomx said:
You are right about this, though:" Like you have something to offer other than your narrow opinion." That is all I have. But does that make it any worse than any others opinion?

Yes it is different than other peoples opinions around here. There are certain members who have something other than their opinions to offer. It's called experience. Not to mention a good set of ears. We all know who these people are because of their participation at this site. None of these folks would come in here and say they will review the first 5 songs, like they don't have the time to be bothered and are offering us some kind of service.

Maybe the proper thing to do would be hang around for awhile. Listen to some tunes, maybe post some of your own (if you have any) and get to know us. That's usually, "How it's dun round here".

Replying to your answer

HangDawg said:
Yes it is different than other peoples opinions around here. There are certain members who have something other than their opinions to offer. It's called experience. Not to mention a good set of ears. We all know who these people are because of their participation at this site. None of these folks would come in here and say they will review the first 5 songs, like they don't have the time to be bothered and are offering us some kind of service.

Maybe the proper thing to do would be hang around for awhile. Listen to some tunes, maybe post some of your own (if you have any) and get to know us. That's usually, "How it's dun round here".

Fair enough, you have a good point there.
I agree that there are many others out there with a lot more experience than me, and I've got a lot of respect them.

What I could wish for was maybe to be treated otherwise than with comments like "who the hell are you", and so on. I think everyone is entiteled to their opinion here in this forum, newbie or not. And I think that a post from a newbie(me) with the title "I'll review your song" is not to trample on anyones feelings. I have not made the impression that I'm the master of recordings, or in anyway saying my opinions are worth more than others.

Remember, this thread is, as I see it, mainly for sharing views on each others music, not talking about who has the right to speak and when. If the users here don't want my opinion, that's fine by me, but those who want, feel free to drop me a line.

As for your last comment about hanging around, I will. I respect your views in this matter, and I hope you respect mine.

Looking forward to discussions on music and music production in the time to come.

And since you asked, here is a little bit about myself:

I'm 33, male. From Norway (live in Denmark).
I play different kinds of instruments, but guitars are my main, and drums are my weakest.
Been playing since I was 15, also in different bands at amateur level.
Right now I only make music here at home.

I listen to a lot of different music, but my favorite bands and artists are: XTC, the Smiths, Tom Waits, Jeff Buckley, Joni Mitchell, Pixies and Eat.

Music online:
R2OS
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/r2osmusic.htm

My gear:
_ Cakewalk Sonar 2.2
_ Fender Strat+ http://www.guitarbar.com/images/FenderStratPlus92Sun.jpg
_ Fender Acoustic- Sierra Vista http://www.guitare-village.com/matos/23_02_2004/sierravista.jpg
_ Marshal MXL 2003 mic http://www.mtlc.net/manager/images/db/f1773.jpg
_ A small Behringer 4 track mixer http://www.videoviden.dk/images/behringer_mx602.jpg
_ Boss delay RDD-20 http://www.effectsdatabase.com/images/gear/Boss_RDD20_s.jpg
_ Creative Live soundcard from 1998 http://www.sk.co.yu/1999/02/sktd02.jpg
_ An AMD 2400 athlon

Last edited:
hi, roomx.....

i think people got mad at you beacuase your approach kind of has an annoying bravado to it that's a little outsiderish. it would be like me strutting into a country-western bar and ordering a malibu rum in a chilled glass. nevertheless, welcome to my web board. i'm the main guy and most decisions have to go through me just so you know. you can keep doing what you're doing i don't care

Malibu

cat-eggs said:
hi, roomx.....

i think people got mad at you beacuase your approach kind of has an annoying bravado to it that's a little outsiderish. it would be like me strutting into a country-western bar and ordering a malibu rum in a chilled glass. nevertheless, welcome to my web board. i'm the main guy and most decisions have to go through me just so you know. you can keep doing what you're doing i don't care

Malibu for everyone, it's on me...
------------------------------

Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western.

Blues Brothers

Back