I want to record 8 tracks at once, and...

Bruce

I'm just starting to explore digital recording and editing using my pc; I've been doing 8 track analog recording/mixing in the past. Been experimenting lately with a Live Plat sound card and cakewalk and a cubase demo and interested in the possibilities for editing and having a lot more available tracks.
I like the tape sound I'm getting for our band, and I want to record 8 tracks from my deck into 8 tracks in the pc and then be able add additional overdub tracks one track at a time into the pc.(I also want to learn about recording 8 tracks-drums, bass, guitar mics DIRECTLY into the pc eventually and retire my tape deck).
I would then like to mix all 16-20 channels down to a 2X mix digitally, adding reverb, compression...everything I'm doing now, but digitally. I'd like to have a program that provides me with an automatic board at mix-down if I can, also....
Question-I've seen 8 input sound cards that appear to be able to do this. Please recommend-what is a good quality sound card and what are the options for a good software program to get for this recording and mixing?

I'm very new to this...Thanx for your help!
Bruce

Boatloads of choices on the soundcards. I'm suprised nobody answered this for you.

I'm still stuck using a fairly cheap soundcard...so I'll just point you to www.gadgetlabs.com

As far as software...all multitracking software will do what you need. I believe GadgetLabs ships their cards with n-Track studio ( www.fasoft.com ) which works well. Otherwise there are more expensive packages out there... try www.cakewalk.com , www.cubase.com , www.sonicfoundry.com

Slackmaster 2000

Back