i want to buy a console..

TragikRemix

I am NOT a Gear Whore. ;)
now that i understand the purpose and use of a console in the studio enviorment, sure enough, i want one.

i want something with good pres. eq's arent a huge priority because i try not to abuse eq too much.

that being said, i would love some recommendations. i want to spend between $1 and $2500, used values. 16 channels is fine, unless i can get 24 for within my price range.

i was looking into the soundcraft ghost and the soundtrac topaz (?). anybody know of some others within my price range?

i salivate over the Toft ATB, but that comes to like $3600 with shipping, new from the UK. thats kinda over my budget, but if someone says that it blows all the others away, it can find its place in the contention. i wish people were selling them used already!

what are some other options for me, or some comments about the one's i mentioned.

thanks guys

The soundcraft ghost, even used is probably outside your price range. I would recommend the mackie 32.8 or the behringer mx9000.

TragikRemix said:
now that i understand the purpose and use of a console in the studio enviorment, sure enough, i want one.

i want something with good pres. eq's arent a huge priority because i try not to abuse eq too much.

that being said, i would love some recommendations. i want to spend between $1 and $2500, used values. 16 channels is fine, unless i can get 24 for within my price range.

i was looking into the soundcraft ghost and the soundtrac topaz (?). anybody know of some others within my price range?

i salivate over the Toft ATB, but that comes to like $3600 with shipping, new from the UK. thats kinda over my budget, but if someone says that it blows all the others away, it can find its place in the contention. i wish people were selling them used already!

what are some other options for me, or some comments about the one's i mentioned.

thanks guys
Well, I have a Mackie 24-8 with meter bridge, lights, stand, and manual. I also have a Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 with meter bridge, all +4 mods done, and manual. I could maybe be talked out of one of them if you spoke the right language.

Both work well except for maybe minor things like VU meter lights or a few scratches. Although, I'll have to check out the Topaz first. I think it may need some pots cleaned. I have some Deoxit cleaner and fader lube.

Hell, you could even come to my house and mix a song on it before you decide.

RD

RawDepth said:
Well, I have a Mackie 24-8 with meter bridge, lights, stand, and manual. I also have a Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 with meter bridge, all +4 mods done, and manual. I could maybe be talked out of one of them if you spoke the right language.

Both work well except for maybe minor things like VU meter lights or a few scratches. Although, I'll have to check out the Topaz first. I think it may need some pots cleaned. I have some Deoxit cleaner and fader lube.

RD

just out of curiosty how much would you be willing to sell these boards for???

Nick The Man said:
just out of curiosty how much would you be willing to sell these boards for???
If I put them on EBay, I would probably make a reserve of $1250. (for either)

kessel said:
The soundcraft ghost, even used is probably outside your price range. I would recommend the mackie 32.8 or the behringer mx9000.

I picked up a 24ch ghost (no bridge though) from an HR member not too long ago for under $1500 you just gotta look like a motherfucker. look in the for sale sections here at gearslutz, TapeOp, Harmony-Central and other forums. Ebay can be very hit or miss on larger mixers.

yeah i've seen the ghosts for $1500 or so.

raw, if you decide to sell within the next 6 months or so, definitley contact me. i've got family in PA who wouldnt mind being visited :)

so, why would the ghost be out of my price range again? the hell with mackies and behringers. the mx9000 blows, and mackie is just, well, whatever. no place for the mackie in the studio IMO.

My tascam 24 track 8 bus with full meter bridge might be for sale within your price range.

Attachments

• themotherboard.JPG
    themotherboard.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 212
The Mackie 8 Bus series 24 or 32 channel are nice and I see alot of them used for low prices. Around $1000 or less.

Good preamps, the direct outs on each channel are my main connection to my converters, lots of monitoring inputs and outputs, built in talkback mic.

Here are a couple on EBAY right now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Otari-Concept-One_W0QQitemZ330100566328QQcategoryZ23785QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
32 preamps, dynamics, automation, power supplies, cables and patchbay...$2400

http://cgi.ebay.com/quantum-qa1010-...100092674QQcategoryZ23785QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Older console with at least 20 channels, warm sounding desk that will need some TLC...$2000

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-02R96-Mi...098895382QQcategoryZ41475QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Digital console with lots of expansion options and the newer yamaha preamps and software, also functions well as a remote interface for DAW applications...$2000

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-MARK-8-S...099578024QQcategoryZ41474QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
36 channel newer more expensive Peavey console. This is not like the other Peavey stuff. This one has more of the Crest console technology implemented. As a result it sounds better than the typical Peavey stuff, but also costs more...$1200

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soundcraft-Seri...092392154QQcategoryZ23785QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Better EQ and Aux features than a Ghost, comes with good metering and more comprehensive master section, but not set up in line like a Ghost, laid out as a FOH/monitor console. 40 channels however helps to make up for not being inline as your return channels (should you use return channels) get full routing and EQ rather than a couple of shared features...currently at $1036

http://cgi.ebay.com/40-CHANNEL-MIXI...091075508QQcategoryZ23785QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
One of the decent Tascam consoles. This one has 24 mic lines and 8 more stereo channels. In line returns are on faders. The seller seems to be very upfront about any and all issues which to me look very easily fixed. $900

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soundtracs-Topa...095372075QQcategoryZ23785QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Soundtracs Topaz that looks to not be the later and cheaper Project 8 version and looks to be in pretty good shape...$800

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amek-BIG-44-inp...093607396QQcategoryZ23785QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
44 channels, 24 buss, Supertrue automation included. Not the full on Amek sound, but much better than many of the others on the list. Clean sounding desk, but a little over price range... $3000

There is also a SOundcraft TS12 for sale at Blevins Audio in Nashville for about $3000. Big desk, split design, some of the good vintage sounding Soundcraft stuff, but not quite as sweet as a TS24. Worlds above a Ghost though.

These are just a few that I found on ebay real quick that I personally think will sound much better than a Mackie and even than a Topaz (the project 8 one that seems to pop up a lot and was not that expensive new even). Some of these are actually pretty big desks and may have some scratchy pots and switches etc... The good thing about a bigger board is that they often come with patchbays and cabling and if they have more channels than you need you can use a couple of channels for spare parts, or just swap them around until you get enough good channels for you to use right away and address the other problems as you have time.

A mixing board is one of those things you might want to consider buying new. I'm speaking from experience here.

Pretty much any used board is going to have issues, and you'll need to sink money into it to get it to work right. Look at the purchase price as simply the downpayment.

For under your $2,500 cap you could get a new Mackie 24 8-buss mixer. I was thinking you might also be able to a Midas Venice 160, but I think that will be a little over $3,000. The Toft ATB is one you might want to consider as well, but I don't know that those are out yet.

Basically, if you can spend $2,500, then it's not such a stretch to save up a little more and go to $3,000 or so if it gets you a better mixer and more what you are looking for.

Once again, I'd recommend getting a new board, and a board with eight busses and at least six aux sends.

TragikRemix said:
the hell with mackies and behringers. the mx9000 blows, and mackie is just, well, whatever. no place for the mackie in the studio IMO.

My Mackie does great in the studio but if you have the money and want to buy something more expensive, go for it.

thanks for the all the info everyone, thanks for the links xstatic.

i guess that makes sense to buy it new. i do hear alot of people having issues, and the things being a fortune to repair.

the toft atb is really something that caught my eye i guess. maybe it will be best to hold out and buy one?

looks like i need to research more.

I will sell the Mackie now.

I should hold on to the Topaz at least until I can afford to spring for that new mixer I have my eye on. I don't want to be left with none to use until then.

If anyone is interested, give me a shout. I guess I should list it in the Ads forum too.

RawDepth

I have bought many a used console over the years and never had the problems people here are referring to. Generally, all an old console that has been taken care of needs is some cleaning of the pots. Several of the consoles I listed are modular which means cleaning them is very easy. As long as you use a little common sense when buying the console you should be just fine. There are a couple of boards I listed that are old enough that they may also be in need of a recapping which can definately become a costly adventure. Generally speaking though, most of those older consoles will probably actually outlast most new ones you will get in the price range that you are looking at. Also keep in mind that a few of those consoles are worlds above a Mackie or a Behringer in terms of features, sonic quality, resale value, and overall usability. The Amek, Yamaha, Soundcraft and the Otari are all built out of good parts and typically will not require tto much maintenance. They also look to be in pretty good shape, but looks certainly do not mean everything. Sure they can be a little risky, but when buying a nicer more expensive console there is also a better chance that it was actually properly maintained.

I have never bought a console new and have never had a problem with the ones I have bought. I have had more problems with the new mixers (mackies) I have bought. As for my tascam, there is nothing wrong with it and it works flawlessly. I have not been looking at the prices lately and seeing how they have fallen I am just going to keep mine. I would die if I had to sell it for what they are going for now.
Good Luck.

gumshoe said:
I have never bought a console new and have never had a problem with the ones I have bought. I have had more problems with the new mixers (mackies) I have bought. As for my tascam, there is nothing wrong with it and it works flawlessly. I have not been looking at the prices lately and seeing how they have fallen I am just going to keep mine. I would die if I had to sell it for what they are going for now.
Good Luck.
Hey, watch it!

Don't be slammin' Mackie right now, I'm trying to sell one here. :o

My first mixer was a new Mackie 1604VLZ. Being new to the stuff I didn't catch that no. 3 bus did not work until to late. I am sure it was a fluke, they have a pretty good rep.

You guys have been lucky with your used consoles then. I'm going to maintain that consoles are something one either buys new, or budgets for sending it to a service place at the time of purchase. That's not to say the used console will be guaranteed to be messed up, just that there is a likelyhood that it will not be 100%.

Back