I want to build a rack for my home studio! With...

Luucifer66

Hey! :D

I want to get some equipment, to improve both my recording quality and my home studio.

Lets start with what gear I have, and what I record.

I have a PC with Cubase 5. To the PC, I have connected a Audio Interface. The Steinberg MR816 X, that is. (24-bit/192kHz Firewire audiointerface with DSP, 18 inn/18 out +more). I aslo have a couple of mics. All the instruments. Acoustic treatment to a certain level, working on it now.

The way I currently record, is plugging everything stright to the Audio interface. Or eventually micing up.
In cubase I use these built in- limiters, gates, reverbs, compressor, eq's and other effects. But I guess its better to have in in hardware? Why?

I record mainly metal music. But a lot of soft, clean acoustic parts too. I mix a lot.
For the metal part, could the Engl 530 be something for me? How do I plug it to my setup if so?

I also record both Guitar, drums, bass, vocals and synth.

Now, where do I start? What do I need first and forward? Suggestions?

Another thing... Where am I supposed to plug these equipment in my rack? Stright to the Audio Interface? Or do I need something in between?

Lots of questions, I know. I'd highly appreciate some basic information. I am greatful for you taking your time reading this and eventually helping me out.

Cheers!

Regards

Mads

Last edited:
I've got a rack for my studio work. It's got three things in it: interface, headphone amp & a sound module.

I just plug stuff in and out of the interface.

If you're just gonna fill out a rack with a bunch of Behringer stuff you are probably much better off using soft FX.

If you're gonna invest in some decent or high-grade mic pres and/or outboard FX like Eventides and Lexi PCM 91's then a rack to mount them in is a must.

A patch bay comes in handy for the ins-and-outs you change out with some bit of frequency as it saves having to get around to the back of the piece in question to re-patch it some other way. Making your own cables comes in handy too if you go with a patchbay setup because you'll need enough cables to patch all those I/O's from the back of the gear into the patchbay, and then more cables to patch from the patchbay to other I/O's, mixers, whatever.

I have a pretty modest setup including racked pres, MIDI I/O, FX, and monitor amp. The I/O from my soundcard is run through a patchbay, as are the hardware FX. Another rolling rack is filled with Moog pedals and CV modules.

I find that the stuff that is racked just sits there nice and still, out of the way until needed. Everything else is either in a box that has to be dug out to get to, or laying around on a desk contributing to the clutter. Personally, I'd rack everything except the wah-wah and the volume/expression pedals if I had the space for the racks. It keeps things organized, and everything racked is on wheels so it's all mobile if necessary, like for vacuuming the carpet. :D

First thing I would (and have) invested in is pres. Get yourself at least a couple of decent pres (I'd say at least 4 if you're going to record drums and at least 2 for stereo stuff if not). GAP pre-73s are really nice, and for a rack you'd just put them on trays.

For compressors RNC is cheap and sounds fine, it's dual mono, so basically two mono units smashed together but not stereo. A couple of those would be a nice first step into outboard comps and give you 4 channels (with two sets of controls). Again, they would need a tray.

Once that is done I'd go looking for something like an 1176 comp. Expensive, but for guitars and vocals of any rock genre they are killer. (I'm in the process of building my own and it's is pretty easy if you want some info PM me...oh and I knew almost nothing about electronics when I started).

Basically Pres and compressors. Everything else your DAW will do as well or better until you bump the price up well over $1500+. Plus you have to consider the degradation of running your tracks out to outboard through and back in through less than the best A/D convertors.

For compressors RNC is cheap and sounds fine, it's dual mono, so basically two mono units smashed together but not stereo.
Actually, it's the other way around. The RNC is a stereo (or single mono) compressor. It won't compress two separate mono signals, at least not properly.

Actually, it's the other way around. The RNC is a stereo (or single mono) compressor. It won't compress two separate mono signals, at least not properly.
Actually, you can compress separate mono signals, but they must share the same settings...

There's only one detector: if you run two lines through it, when the level of one of them rises above the threshold, it will make the level of both of them drop, even if the other one is nowhere near the threshold.

In other words: "It won't compress two mono signals, at least not properly."

If the two signals are basically similar (what we ordinarily call "stereo"), it'll work. Otherwise: not so much.

First thing I would (and have) invested in is pres. Get yourself at least a couple of decent pres (I'd say at least 4 if you're going to record drums and at least 2 for stereo stuff if not). GAP pre-73s are really nice, and for a rack you'd just put them on trays.

For compressors RNC is cheap and sounds fine, it's dual mono, so basically two mono units smashed together but not stereo. A couple of those would be a nice first step into outboard comps and give you 4 channels (with two sets of controls). Again, they would need a tray.

Once that is done I'd go looking for something like an 1176 comp. Expensive, but for guitars and vocals of any rock genre they are killer. (I'm in the process of building my own and it's is pretty easy if you want some info PM me...oh and I knew almost nothing about electronics when I started).

Basically Pres and compressors. Everything else your DAW will do as well or better until you bump the price up well over $1500+. Plus you have to consider the degradation of running your tracks out to outboard through and back in through less than the best A/D convertors.

Hey, Aaron

Wow, this was the kind of information I was looking for! I highly appreciate that. I now feel ready for some investement.

Might happen that I PM you later about that. But for now, cheers mate.

Mads

More clarification, if necessary:

My note was just a relatively picayune little detail. While it's possible it matters to the OP, it's more likely it doesn't.

The RNC is, to my limited knowledge (I have one, but I'm no expert), an excellent suggestion.

Yeah I don't know if it's stereo or what it's called, but it is NOT dual mono as I earlier said. Whatever, if you need two independent channels get two RNC for $350...what a deal!

Back