I want more and better

Loan Shark

Hello,

I am looking for help, ideas, suggestion and opinions. I am looking to step up. I currently use the Yamaha MD8 and have been for about 4 years. I want a machine/equipment that will give me a great finished product on CD. I want something that will make someone say "you did that at home". I am willing to spend up to $3000 or so. I have looked at the VS 2400 by Roland, similar machines by Yamaha, Korg and others. Can I get what I'm looking for out of these machines? Should I go a different route? I am open please help.

Loan Shark

Hate to burst your bubble, but gear's only a part of the equation... the biggest part are recording skills, as my SIG says....

Hey !!! I thought this is the newbies forum... :)
I can't decide to spend $100 for a soundcard and he's talking of 3000... "or so"...
rofl

... left to shoot myself ...

Dude, don't fret. We had some guy show up once who wanted to blow $50K.

Trust me, you'll end up a lot better off.

Suggestion?

What forum would this question be appropriate for? I don't consider myself a pro by any means, but I think I get the best I can get out of the Yamaha. I feel lost going forward and want to make a good decision. Maybe a $100 sound card is all I need? :confused:

There are so many variables. The recorder is only a small part. Larger parts would include your instruments, microphones, monitors, room, and of course as the Bear said your experience.

And you haven't told us style of music or what is wrong with your current recordings.

loan. hi quality sound is purely based on the quality of convertors in the sound card, and the quality of mic pre's and mics used.
if you have a budget in mind as well as how many tracks you want to record at the same time to say seperate tracks on a pc. this would help.

Besides the Yamaha MD8, I Have an AKG C3000B mic, Behringer Truth B2031 monitors, Alesis drum machine and I use a Macke 1202 mixer to pre-amp. On the side I have an old Peavey Ultraverb, DOD EQ and DBX 266 compressor. I get an OK sound on the Yamaha. I use a Marantz CD recorder to get on CD. Once on the CD it's not the same as when I monitor on Yamaha.
I generally don't need to record a lot of tracks at once. I'm thinking of up to $3000 to invest in new machine/equipment. I do Christian rock that is drivin by guitar and melodic vocals. Kind of 80's sounding.

Thanks,
Loan Shark

loan. if your considering a pc. you can get from 40 to 100 tracks or more
in a song fyi. ive posted a number of configs in the past year for someone moving to pc based on amd systems. just search under my name.
also heres some tutorials.
http://www.garys.web.st/midibasics.htm
http://www.garys.web.st/basicintro.htm
also check out band in a box sometime. its highly unique in letting a musician
get down a backing band fast...for example drums, keys, bass, piano etc.
and you can choose many other instruments.
heres a christian music page link you might find interesting using band in a box. merry xmas.
http://www.arcomnet.net.au/~pbarratt/

manning1 why on earth would he want tutorials for software he doesn't have? Why are you so compelled to spam? You do understand that spamming isn't allowed here, don't you? Do you think providing links to the software you're trying to sell is any different than trying to sell it outright? Do you have zero respect for the moderators here?

morningstar.
as ive said before...i dont sell anything. and i dont work for anyone.
i'm just a happy user. he wanted good suggestions - so i suggested.
others on here seem very happy with my suggestions.
stop this nastiness. you have this fixation in your mind somehow.
get off my case..

Well, I'll approach this from my perspective.

I have $3K to spend (which is, in fact, my budget for January). Personally, I am going to be focused on doing voice over work (hope hope) and female vocals.

Gear so far...
  • Shure SM7B
  • Borrowed M-Audio 1010LT
  • DAW (2.8GHz P4 w/512MB, 160GB (80GBx2)) w/CD-RW
  • Mackie Tracktion

Next... (subject to change)
  • Emu 1212m (to replace 1010LT) $200
  • Wharfdale Active 8.2 $340
  • Kurzweil Rumour $500
  • Kurzweil Mangler $500
  • Yamaha DD55 $100
  • FMR RNP $475
  • FMR RNC (x2) $360
  • Korg MicroKontrol $300
  • Studio Projects T3 $500
$3,275

My hope herein is to have excellent converters (Emu and Kurzweil), solid monitors (Wharfdale), MIDI drum effects (DD55), reverb and other effects (Rumour, Mangler, and MicroKontrol), excellent vocal chain (T3 and SM7B into dual channel RNP/RNC).

This is still evolving... maybe some great gear at a great value will show up in January.

Loan Shark said:
Hello,

I am looking for help, ideas, suggestion and opinions. I am looking to step up. I currently use the Yamaha MD8 and have been for about 4 years. I want a machine/equipment that will give me a great finished product on CD. I want something that will make someone say "you did that at home". I am willing to spend up to $3000 or so. I have looked at the VS 2400 by Roland, similar machines by Yamaha, Korg and others. Can I get what I'm looking for out of these machines? Should I go a different route? I am open please help.

Loan Shark

The simple answer to your question is "Yes, it is possible."

But all the other factors mentioned are as important or more important than your (recording) equipment. ;) As has been oft pointed out, Sir George Martin got a lot of mileage out of a 4 track.

If you want to get an all-in-one, I highly recommend that you look at the Akai DPS24. New ones are in short supply currently, but used ones can be found if you search. Gives you all the basic components in one package. Add Mics and monitors and you're in business. The other valid, but more complicated, approach is a computer based DAW. A lot more choices are available and a lot more decisions need to be made, but you have a lot of flexibility once it's up and running.

Ted

Cant go wrong

I suggest buying a nice condenser mic such as the akg 414 line, and a descent mic pre such as the amek neve system 9098. If you got money left buy a nice compressor. You can't go wrong with this lineup.

tedluk said:
The simple answer to your question is "Yes, it is possible."

But all the other factors mentioned are as important or more important than your (recording) equipment. ;) As has been oft pointed out, Sir George Martin got a lot of mileage out of a 4 track.

If you want to get an all-in-one, I highly recommend that you look at the Akai DPS24. New ones are in short supply currently, but used ones can be found if you search. Gives you all the basic components in one package. Add Mics and monitors and you're in business. The other valid, but more complicated, approach is a computer based DAW. A lot more choices are available and a lot more decisions need to be made, but you have a lot of flexibility once it's up and running.

Ted

Thanks Ted! I did get the DPS 24 and it is an awsome machine.

Back