I wanna go back to Sonar 2

Mox

I've been playing with a downloaded version of Sonar 3 Producer to see if I should spend the cash to upgrade (all I do is record live instruments, I wanted to make sure it's not $200 for midi stuff). The version I was using expired, which is fine...I only noticed cosmetic changes even though those Sonus (sp) plugins were real nice...but my problem is the files I worked on won't open in V2!

D`OH

suggestions?

You should have changed the names of the files when you saved them in S-3, that would have saved them as seperate projects, and would not have changed your original project folders.

Cakewalk doesn't have any backward compatibility for file types.

The most I think you can do now is to open a new Sonar 2 project, and import all the audio files one at a time from the Sonar 3 project.

This will only really work IF all of the tracks start at "0" in the timeline, if any tracks were just seperate clips they will all get moved to the "0" position on import.

If this is the case you could use the demo again and bounce to track for each track.

You may be able to use the OMF file save option to get an Audio folder that will import everything in it's proper place timewise, but I have never done this and don't know how.

If you think that Sonar 3 only is cosmetic changes, then I think you need to check it out again. It's far the most stable Sonar version yet, and the new bus-routing system is beautiful!

:)

The buss architecture and Ultrafunk plug ins are worth the price of admission. You need to take another look.

MM

suggestions? [/B]
Maybe you should have bought a registered version (like the rest of us) in the first place, and not used a cracked one…the version that was available on the net (just after the final release) has known bugs (it’s not the final version)…this is also confirmed by Cakewalk (Ron C.)…. The “real” version of SONAR 3.0 works great…..

Re: Re: I wanna go back to Sonar 2

HMusikk said:
Maybe you should have bought a registered version (like the rest of us) in the first place, and not used a cracked one…the version that was available on the net (just after the final release) has known bugs (it’s not the final version)…this is also confirmed by Cakewalk (Ron C.)…. The “real” version of SONAR 3.0 works great…..

HMusikk,

You CAN download a Trial version of Sonar 3 here from the Cakewalk site.. I think Mox said that his trial period ran out.

Mox,

Unfortunately you have two options, if you don't think Sonar 3 is worth the upgrade (which it is :D) you will have to do as Strryder said and re-import all audio files.. I know in the manual one of the first things it says is once you have saved in Sonar 3 you can't go back. The other option is you buy the upgrade and be happy :)

Porter

Re: Re: Re: I wanna go back to Sonar 2

Porter said:
HMusikk,

You CAN download a Trial version of Sonar 3 here from the Cakewalk site.. I think Mox said that his trial period ran out.

...but the trial version don't expire....but it has a lot of other limitation...and the first one is that you can't save...:-))

the rest are listed here:
This demo version has the following restrictions:
Saving is disabled
Printing is disabled
Putting data on the Windows clipboard is disabled
File | Send (email) is disabled
Export audio is disabled
ACID file export is disabled
MIDI Groove Clip export is disabled
Export video is disabled
Offline audio and MIDI effects (i.e., Process | Audio Effects, MIDI Effects) is disabled
Integrated time/pitch stretching of audio is disabled
Saving effect presets is disabled
Bounce to Clip(s) is disabled
Bounce to Track(s) is disabled
Groove Quantize export is disabled
Launching 3rd party wave editors from the Tools menu is disabled
Tools | Clean Audio Folder is disabled
No VST-DX Adapter

Thanks for the bus info Moskus, I am just waiting for my current running projects to get over with and then I can start fresh in Sonar3.0. By the way what format the project file and bundle files are stored? not .cwp & .cwb anymore?

Jeyan said:
not .cwp & .cwb anymore?
Nothing has changed to the "endings", it's still cwp and cwb, but work saved in Sonar 3 cannot be opened in Sonar 2.

I currently use XL 2.2

All I use it for is to sync up softsyths and samples via midi.

The only editing I do in Sonar is strickly midi.

I record audio to sonar via my mixer > Adat,,, then I send the audio back out from Sonar to the mixer for mixing. If I ever need to edit any audio I just highlight the audio track and pull it up in Wavelab.

I never use any plugins within sonar nor any of the console options.

would I benefit by upgrading? The only thing that I dont like about sonar or any of the older cakewalk versions is the way it times up stuff. I can quantize and get close on some things but I sure do wish I could get it to work like say a MPC2000 or something with the timing. It's probably just me. I have been using Cake products since DOS. Timing has always been my biggest issue.

Not trying to pick anyones brain, But besides the plugins I really didnt see that much of a difference. I will go back to Cake's site and really read the Mods.

I am curious as to would a upgrade really benefit me?

Thanks

Malcolm

Back