I wanna build a full "semipro" studio...HELP!!!

UltraRecords

I am wanting to build a studio in a 30' by 20' building.

My Equipment Budget is $20,000.00
The building is Done
If anyone would please give me a list of what items they would recommend so that I can make recordings that are pro quality as possible I would be very appreciative. :D

In Hindsight, I wish we had put the patchbays in the ceiling. We put them in the wall, but folks keep bumping them. Some people put them on the ground--what does that solve?

You might want to run a series of bicycle hooks (the bright yellow ones) along the roof, as well. Nobody trips on the ceiling, and the cords stay nice and clean. We use them to hang our guitars on, too, and never worry about having to see something that's hidden behind an instrument (like a tuner or mic).

If you're in ANY danger of swift rainfall, build a french drain (one of the reasons everything is now hung from the ceiling in our studio--live and learn!)). It's basically a trench filled with coarse gravel that acts like a drainage tunnel, and you can still park/sit/build deck on top of it.

15amp fuses. really.

I've never used it, but Auralex apparently has some killer acoustical treatments. www.auralex.com has a comprehensive "Acoustics 101" primer. It's called "Acoustics 101."

Have you tried one of those "virtual house builders?" As far as aesthetics go, it could be a big help.

Every studio I've been in looks "cold." We've put ferns all around to make our practice room/studio more liveable, and hopefully to reduce the humidity (i'm not sure if it's working or "anti-working.")

Some of the other posts explain costs and technicalities. I'm more into getting the musicians (and myself) comfortable and the equipment I can afford foolproof, so that's what I have to offer...

Dig it!

-K.

(make a flowchart of each instrument and how you want it to get to the mixer. include each fx unit, decide which ones are sharable, and then see how much stuff you're really going to need.)

It's so tough to know where to begin. I think the question is a little vague. Maybe if you could narrow it down a little by describing the types of projects you would expect this studio to handle.
Will you need lots of inputs?
How many things do you think you'll need to record at once (ie. how many mics do you need?)
What multitrack format are you considering (MDM, HD, DAW, Analog, etc.)?
Any plans to do CD mastering/duplication?
Do you want to edit audio on computer?
Do you need to sync to video? how about surround sound?
Is your building already soundproofed?

Sorry for the 3rd degree. It just sounds like you want specific model #'s and stuff, which is hard to do without knowing what direction you want to go.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by UltraRecords:
I am wanting to build a studio in a 30' by 20' building.

My Equipment Budget is $20,000.00
The building is Done
If anyone would please give me a list of what items they would recommend so that I can make recordings that are pro quality as possible I would be very appreciative. :D
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll give you some advice based on some of my previous mistakes...

First. How many Channels do you need?
Do you need 16? well-GET 32!
Make sure that you can get in and out of your tracks without swapping cables. If you're swapping cables all the time-it's going to get really frustrating-I found this out the hard way!

Now, I'm saving up to get another mixer.

Figure out your format.
I chose the Tascam DA-38's based on alot of research.
Even though Alesis ADAT has somewhat become the "standard format"-I still chose the Tascam format (Hi-8mm) because I put more faith in Tascam.

Recording on a PC? make sure that it is a DEDICATED PC!

Do not use your Recording PC for anything other than recording. No Modem, no Printing, No Gaming, no "NOTHING". This keeps you from getting "Internet-bourne-viruses" which can cause havoc on your system.

Mic's? I say get as many CONDENSER's as Possible.
Get a pair of D-112's or similar mic's for Kick drums, and a few good Dynamic Cardioids(Like SM57's, Beyer M422,etc.) for Variety.

Do not buy el Cheapo effects.

You're better off having a few quality effects than a ton of crap effects.

If you're going to wire it yourself. Work out a wiring Scheme ahead of time. Don't skimp on Cables-It's worth the extra money to buy quality cable.
Stay away from Multicore Snakes-when a Channel goes out,it can't be replaced...

Use 4" PVC pipe hung from the ceiling as a "conduit" to run your cables through. If you ever have to replace a cable-you can do it.
OR, build a "conduit" out of wood along the floor/wall base-boards with a "lid on Hinges" so that you can have your cables hidden, and protected.

Wire up a "Multi-output Box" and purchase 3 or 4 small mixers and let each musician mix their own headphone mix Also give THEM a cheap effect unit so they can put their own effects on their own Cue mix...

Tim

Back