I think this is overkill BUT

c9-2001

my dad is going to give me one of his severs as my new Daw machine.
i think i'ma run a Digi002R with it but run my rig with nuendo 2 and pt6 only when i need too...(i'm noy a big PT guy)

the machine is a:
Hyper-Thread Dual 2.4GHz Xeon(the computer will see 4 cpu's)
533MHz Front Side Bus
Intel E7505 Server Chipset
8X AGP GeForce FX 5600 256MB-DDR
1 gig of Ecc DDR
Ultra100 raid controller
2 160gig hd's
DVD-RW
CD-RW

i shouldn't have any problems running Waves comp/eq/verb/delay/s1 etc plugins on almost every track..

its either this system of save $3000 for the new G5 wth 1gig bus, but this system will tear a G5 apart.

Have you checked how much noise it's going to make? Servers are often cooled with lots of noisy fans. You may not want to have it in your controlroom.

That's a lot of CPU power by the way. Very cool! Question remains if the recording software can benefit from multiple cpus. Depends on the software. And remember that XP Home edition doesn't support multiple cpus at all but maybe you already knew that.

you can deal with the noise i'm sure, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, you GO man...

you'll need to make a few adjustments but not many, (EEC ram) it should rock i believe...

a GeForce FX 5600 in a server??? humm, or is that "your" suggestion/doing?

twin 160g HHD, SCSI?

add audio card and stur well, let set for 5 seconds, go/record :)

Fusion2 said:
you'll need to make a few adjustments but not many, (EEC ram) it should rock i believe...
What's there to change about ECC RAM?

And... you can delete double posts by clicking on 'edit' ;)

christiaan said:
What's there to change about ECC RAM?

And... you can delete double posts by clicking on 'edit' ;)

not sure but it may slow the system a bit looking for errors or corrections, i'd make a small container if it's that loud, sheesh, noise ;)

either way, try it :) your in like flint now man...

and thanks for that tip, appreciate it...

Fusion's right; ECC's a little slower because of the error detection and correction, but I really doubt that it will be a huge issue, even with a DAW.

to answer some questions..
the server is quiet as hell.. its quieter than my xp2000+ machine..
it has some huge fans in it but they aren't loud...

twin 160g HHD, SCSI?
the 160gb drives are ide/sata150 i belive.. the server has raid 5 in it i belive also

GeForce FX 5600 in a server
when he built it, it was the only video card he had around other than a mad dog mx440... so he gave me the mx440 and he put the fx5600 in the server.. he was doing some dvd stuff on it and running a vm with 4-5 other servers under it

as for the ecc ram.. thats whats already in it.. so i was gonna use it as is...

as for audio cards..i use a delta 1010 right now.. but i was thinking about going the Digi002R route.. i can get one cheap and i hear its fairly nice...plus i need the Pt support right now..

now using nuendo 2 and sx i know they can work with dual cpu's.. but hyper-threading.. its really 4 cpus then.. i know no audio program can use 4.. but the hyper-thread shouldn't even kick in unless the the cpus just about max out right??? i doubt i'll max out a dual 2.4ghz
i've always been a AMD guy.. could someone tell me a little more about Hyper-Threading?

c9-2001 said:
the 160gb drives are ide/sata150 i belive.. the server has raid 5 in it i belive also

when he built it, it was the only video card he had around
as for the ecc ram.. thats whats already in it.. so i was gonna use it as is...

as for audio cards..i use a delta 1010 right now.. but i was thinking about going the Digi002R route.. i can get one cheap and i hear its fairly nice...plus i need the Pt support right now..

now using nuendo 2 and sx i know they can work with dual cpu's.. but hyper-threading.. its really 4 cpus then.. i know no audio program can use 4.. but the hyper-thread shouldn't even kick in unless the the cpus just about max out right??? i doubt i'll max out a dual 2.4ghz
i've always been a AMD guy.. could someone tell me a little more about Hyper-Threading?

>but the hyper-thread shouldn't even kick in unless the the cpus just >about max out right???

humm, maybe at 50-80 tracks, possibly, depends on there size i would expect, not sure, but sure is nice to know your backup is always there...

>i doubt i'll max out a dual 2.4ghz

maybe with half a doz appl running at once, all ripping encoding, that a bit extrem but, eh, :)

>could someone tell me a little more about Hyper-Threading?

kinda new technogly, you may do better with a google search than here, or better yet try an overclocking forum, the code was writen to, of course speed up intel system appl, but i read it only helps in certain applications such as i believe script coding and other word process, don't hold me on that one, i'm an AMD man all the way :)

dual cpu's, humm, must be nice...

don't forget to backup your data running RAID, yes 5 is the most secure RAID there is but like they say, you snooza you loosea...

well i have a 60 gig Dlt backup so i'll be sure i backup...

i'm also a amd man.. but when you get a system like this you can't really say anything, you know..

i've playedback 64 tracks under nuendo no problem with eq,compression,reverb etc.. the cpu was at 60% with the xp2000 machine..
i'm gonna install nuendo on the server and see how it runs see how many tracks i can have, how many effects etc..

i've playedback 64 tracks under nuendo no problem with eq,compression,reverb etc.. the cpu was at 60% with the xp2000 machine..
You're a fuckin liar! Didn't you see Steve Jobs' demo?

you must be joking...

elevate said:
You're a fuckin liar! Didn't you see Steve Jobs' demo?
WTF?
you must be a apple guy.. or your trying to be funny
like i said the cpu was sitting at 60%.. it wasn't jumping or anything. it was stable at 60% and it wasn't moving.. i still have the project all i have to do it load it up..
Voxengo eq's,waves truverb, waves Rverb, waves Rvox mono(on every vocal) 2 or 3 S1's for the stereo strings in the song.

the only time i've ever had the cpu past 60%.. i had 114tracks.with about 20-25 effects. the song was recorded with vst32 and imported into nuendo.. the guy that recorded it didn't know wht the hell he was doing b/c i ended up with 48 tracks after editing.

Xp2000+ clocked to xp2200
Abit NF7-S MB(Nvidia)
1gig pc2700 DDR
1 40gig HD
1 120gig HD
Nvidia mx440 video card
Delta 1010 with .29 driver
win XPpro

o and the tracks were all 24/44

Back