I think it's time to go digital...?

bass331964

I"ve been an analog person for what seems like forever the digital world sounds great and I've been considering going in that direction but don't have a clue about what to buy or how to use what I buy.
Looking for suggestions my computer is a hp 15 gig hard drive 633 mhz with 64 mb
I would like to keep the budget under a 1000$ and yes I know that may be ridiculous I've seen the digital recorders in music stores and I've read about software and sound cards for using your computer but I don't know anyone doing it that could give me advice.
I currently use an analog eight track tascam.
If you have suggestions that go beyond my budget please throw them at me anyway since when does anything ever stay in the budget...
Thanks
bass331964

Your computer sounds like it has enough beef except for RAM. I was able to muti-track with a 300 MHz machine with 128 megs of RAM plug ins were a poblem. IMHO 256 megs of RAM is about a low as I woud go. More is better and RAM is cheep now. As far as a sound card goes, it depends on who many tracks you want to be ale to record simultainiously. If you go the computer route, you'll also want a CD burner so you can archive your multi track projects. Do you already have a mixer? :D

Thanks for the advice on the ram that's easy enough I don't have a mixer (I assume you mean a digital mixer) and yes I will want a cd burner any suggestions in that area?
I would only want to multi track four tracks at the most simultainiously, and I could even get away with just two if necessary.
Is the computer route cheaper than buying the digital recorder? sounds like it would be, what would I want for a sound card and software?

Computer recording's cheaper if you've already got the computer. :D

You'll need a four-channel soundcard. Start doing soundcard searches in the Computer and Soundcard Forum - there are loads, but you pretty much get what you pay for. You'll need multitracking software: n-Track is cheap and good. You'll need a CD burner. You can do all that for $1000 easy.

You've got all the outboard gear already, right?

In addition to what Track Rat gave you, you probably want to get a second HD. Keep the first one for all your programs, and the second just for your audio files.

I think since you already have the computer, it would be much cheaper to go this route than buying a standalone system. It also will be more upgradable and flexible as things changes and improve. However, the learning curve might be a bit steeper.

The mixer does not need to be digital. Generally the A/D conversion takes place in your sound card, so an analog mixer will fill the bill.

Here's what you probably need (assuming you already have mics and a mixer):
256Mb additional memory
20-40Gb HDD 7200 rpm
CD Burner
Prosumer Soundcard (e.g, Delta or Echo or similar)
Recording software (Sonar, Cubase, etc.)

I'm guessing you can do all this for under $1000. Figure roughly $50 for memory, $100 for HDD, $150 for the CD burner, $300-$500 for the soundcard, and $50 - $350 for the software. If you also need a mixer and/or mics, you're going to blow your budget.

The choice of soundcard, after you decide on a brand, will largely be based on the number of simultaneous tracks you want to record. I highly recommend getting as many inputs as you can afford. Based on what you said, go for a minimum of 4 inputs and if you can swing it, go for 8. I use a Delta 1010 with 8 inputs/8 outputs that I would recommend - but it will run you around $500.00.

THanks for the help you guys appreciate it, I have all the outboard gear as far as mics and things go, I use the on board mixer in my tascam 488 analog eight track right now. I imagine I could use the line out on that in the mean time if not please let me know I"ve been known to imagine all sorts of things.
also what I could use is some books on digital recording I've got a good grasp on the analog end and the music but like it was mentioned going digital I would have a learning curve any suggestions would be great I don't suppose there is a digital recording for dummies book in print...? (is there a foolish grin smile to insert here?)
I've ben reading stuff in the computer and soundcard forums from what I've seen echo and delta seem to be the favorites
I've never caught n-track mentioned anywhere when you say cheap what do you mean dollar wise ball park figure would be fine.
And again this is a great site and all of you that have helped myself and the rest of us amatuers are fortunate, I've learned so much just reading on this site....

you can get N Track at www.fasoft.com for $39 for the 16bit version and $59 for the 24bit version...dont let the price fool you...its a very powerful multi-tracker with features of alot of the bigboy software.....version 3.0 is getting ready to come out and im itching to see whats new in it....

With N-track , 128mb is more than enough Ram but it is so cheap now Id throw in an extra 128Mb or even 256Mb stick.....

A few questions...what mics, preamps, etc do you have now?....are you recording a band or just yourself...what instruments?.....how many inputs/outputs do you need (how many tracks do you need to record at once)?.....are you looking for demo quality or pro quality?......

I'm recording a two man operation for my own enjoyment more than anything so demo quality would be more like it. although I'm always in search of the best recording possible.
I"m recording a bass track rythm guitar, lead guitar, vocals, back vocals, drums (drum machine) sometimes harmonica and acoustic guitar.
I lay down the bass and rhythm guitar tracks together first then add the lead vocals then the drum machine which I play buy hand two tracks for the kick and the snare then I use two tracks for the hi hat and any rolls ( I don't like the stiffness of using the program even when I write the programs myself) then I add the rest of the tracks one at a time. So for the most part recording two tracks at once is the usual requirement.
I have a electro voice mic and a shure 58
I use my swr bass head with the build in direct box, I use a korg guitar processor I also have a korg digital reverb unit and a ada digital delay along with a alesis compressor, the drum machine is a boss oh and of course a equalizer.
I don't mic any amps still being in analog world I find this is a source of noise for me and since 99% of the guitar stuff is clean going directly in I find works better.
The software price sounds great too good to be true almost...what features does it have.
Hope I didn't ramble too much here...

Before slamming down any money, I would download the shareware version of N-Track at www.fasoft.com ......there is a list of the features at the site......use the soundcard that came with your computer and dablle with it to make sure you like the idea of recording on a computer.....just plug the outputs of your Tascam into the line input of your soundcard....use a 2 RCA??? to 1/8 stereo (if thats what the soundcard has) cable....plug your mics and/or instruments into the Tascam, set N-Track to record a stereo track with two separate tracks, and pan on the mixer anything you want on a separate track hard left and anything you want on the second separate track hard right....go from there.....This may sound like greek now but any snags you run into can be solved in the N-Track forum.....

Now if you like this, you could go for something like a Delta Omni studio which includes the soundcard, preamps, and a virtual mixer....it goes for $379....a second hard drive for about $120 (7200rpm) may be needed if you get into higher track counts....a bit more ram but thats cheap as dirt.....you can get of for a lot less $$$$, but this setup will get you very nice results....

But first try it with what you already have...it may surprise you....

That sounds like a great suggestion I understand what you mean on how to hook things up that should be the easy part, experimenting with the shareware the fun part, hoping it all works the head scratching part...I went to the site you suggested after your last reply and was very impressed Thanks for all the help

Back