i think i'm missing something

tsl92802

i've been reading a lot about ad/da conversions and running apogee, lynx, etc with your setup to improve it. however...if you have a box that already has convertors, aren't you held back by your original box? or when you have an external set of convertors does the digital signal bypass the ones in your box.

example:

let's say you have a motu192hd (which is something i'm looking into), and you have the budget to get high end convertors like apogees...wouldn't the convertors in the 192hd be a weak link? how would you/can you hook it up so there is no weak link.

also, let's say i want 12 inputs of analog in, and 2 outs...what would be the best route to go (or maybe practical is a better word) with a budget of roughly $3000. i'd prefer the boxes not to include prempas unless they are of great quality. sorry if this is a noob question, but it just seems to be escaping me and i can't track down the answer. thanks!

There are a whole bunch of things that I would look at before you start on a/d-d/a converters.

Good microphones and good preamping will make your tracks sound better at the source, make them easier to mix and ultimately help more than any lesser source material through the best a/d-d/a converters.

Agreed with the above, but to answer your question, yes, the digital signal should bypass the convertors on your motu192hd, otherwise it would be not only pointless, but detrimental (2 ad conversions).

However, you might want to hold off until you hear that you want/need a convertor upgrade. The Motu's convertors are decent.

The hookup from computer to Apogee would have to be digital to bypass the 192. You would use the digital output from the 192 to the apogee for conversion.

i will take the advise of using the money else where, however i'd still like to know how it works for my own knowledge.

am i to assume i take the aes/ebu in and out of the motu and connect it to said apogee unit since there's no optical or spdif on the motu.

also...what apogee or any other product would i need to get the 12 in and 2 out that i'm looking for...or is this not really something the apogee (or any other brand) is meant to do?

Back