I think I want a mixer...

Dionna Blue

Accentuate the positive.
Amazon.com: Behringer 1202FX Xenyx Premium 12-Input 2-Bus Mixer with Xenyx Mic Preamps, British Eqs And 24-Bit Multi-Fx Processor: Musical Instruments

I know some people don't like Behringer so there's also

Amazon.com: Mackie 402-VLZ3 Premium 4-Channel Ultra-Compact Mixer: Musical Instruments

Peaked my curiosity. I like the option of eq'ing my vocals before recording. Any thoughts?

Also, where would this fit into my chain? Would it replace anything? Would I need something else to link this piece in?

Mic>Art tube preamp>Alesis Interface>Laptop

Thanks

So is there something that would replace my interface and/or art preamp and give me some hardware sound control for less than $200?

I would personally try to put the LEAST amount of circuitry between the mic and the recorder.

If you want some eq control over the signal get an eq. What interface do you have? The Alesis iO|2 USB has inserts so you can get rid of that cheap "tube" preamp and stick the eq in the insert.

I have no clue what you're talkin about. lol Inserts? I just called music123 and they're taking back the Alesis and upgrading me to the Presonus Audiobox for the difference. At that point I'll skip the preamp. cool? cool. :)

If you want some eq control over the signal get an eq. What interface do you have? The Alesis iO|2 USB has inserts so you can get rid of that cheap "tube" preamp and stick the eq in the insert.

I always eq in my DAW.

It sucks to record a good take, and then realize the eq was wrong for the mix, and you have to redo the track.

Last edited:
Agree....you don't need a mixer.
Save your money to buy a better pre-amp, cuz adding a mixer in the chain won't let you get a better result.

I always eq in my DAW.

It sucks to record a good take, and then realize the eq was wrong for the mix, and you have to redo the track.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Do minimal damage to your takes before going into the computer. Don't eq, nor add reverb, delays, effects. Compress only to keep the vox dynamic range within the limits of your interface. Break these rules only when you know what you're doing.

Another reason is you might get a better mix using plugs than cheap equipment dirtying up your audio. (Of course, this point is often debated usually ending up in a rock-throwing contest!!)

Ok, so I just read the rest of the thread and looks like you followed everyone's advice. I'll just leave this up for posterity's sake. :)

I scrapped the mixer idea and ordered the Audiobox to replace my Alesis iO2 express.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Do minimal damage to your takes before going into the computer. Don't eq, nor add reverb, delays, effects. Compress only to keep the vox dynamic range within the limits of your interface. Break these rules only when you know what you're doing.

Another reason is you might get a better mix using plugs than cheap equipment dirtying up your audio. (Of course, this point is often debated usually ending up in a rock-throwing contest!!)

Ok, so I just read the rest of the thread and looks like you followed everyone's advice. I'll just leave this up for posterity's sake. :)

Back