I think I F'd up!!! or did I?

JPlush76

well I just started setting up my home studio and bought a NADY 1050 Tube condenser mic

bascially because I had a $300 limit and it came with all the cool accessories :)

from reading on here seems like people don't have too much faith in nady. I'm going home to use it for the first time really today.

What are the differences between tube and regular condenser mics?

Is there something out there better in the $300-400 range for condenser mics? I need it for vocal applications mostly

I ask because I have 45 days to return it

I've heard the Studio Projects mics are really good. Shure KSM27 runs olny about 250. The audiotechnica AT3035 is a great mic, and only runs around 200. Heck, buy two. Marhshall MXL2003, AKG has one, there's a lot. Just no NADY, no Behringer, and no samson.

Hey Tyler, you recording pro you, do you own or even ever used any of those mics you recommended?

c7sus, thanks for the reply

I think the main problem will be I don't know what to compare it to since I've never owned a condenser mic before... what types of things should I listen for?

I suppose I can always buy a mic at a music store and compare and return it? no?

J- check the return policy on microphones. Many name music stores won't take them back for "heath" reasons. :(

I have a couple Nady mics and I'm happy enough with them. If you are "stuck" with that mic then just make the best of it and enjoy it. It ain't horrible, it just ain't the best.

That said, there ARE better deals in that price range for vocal mics. I should add that this is just general Nady knowledge and not from experience with that particular mic.

If you can return it, check out the Mxl v67, Studio Projects C-1 and C-3. They are all good, inexpensive vocal mics. There are certainly others but I am familiar with these.

Take care,
Chris

ohhh how I wish daddy had money to give me for recording equipment.. that bastage! :)

I searched in this forum for differences between tube and regular condenser mics but I didn't find anything

anyone know the basic difference? did I even need a tube mic? :O

Just to clear that up, it's not daddies money, its MY money, that I am earning, WORKING hard, just like everyone else. I just know how to get a good job for more than minimum wage!

Condensor mics have a little amp inside. Tube mics use tubes in those amps. Gives it a tubey sound, surprisingly. :) Other mics use solid state amps and don't have the tube quality. Both work. Neither is better than the other, just different.

No, you certainly don't need a tube mic. They have a sound some people really like, especially for vocals, but (as with all things) it depends on the mic, the singer, and the song. I've never heard the Nady mic and I've never used a tube mic myself. Heard 'em plenty over in the Mixing Clinic, though.

I don't have one so I don't use 'em. You paid extra for that sexy tube, but you don't really need it. Again, if you're stuck with it you probably have an OK mic so don't feel too bad. If it were me, though, I'd try to return it. Tell them it doesn't work. :D

Unless you really like the sound you get with it. Who knows? My Nady scm900's treat my acoustic guitar just fine- even potential mic snobs in the clinic have agreed with me on that. It ain't always whatcha got but how you use it. :D

Take care,
Chris

Just because he turns 16 late this year doesn't mean he doesn't know anything... :D

I've worked with MANY high school kids who know their stuff really well, but it takes a while to learn how to communicate like an adult. Many adults don't even communicate like adults. :D

Dont Judge him so harshly dude.

He did hit a few mics in the price range that may be an improvement over the Nady( which is an ok mic, even Harvey has one in his cabinet).

I dont belive you made a mistake if you shopped arround and compared it to others and liked it the best, but if you let a salespig talk you into it when you had the intention to get something else that would be a mistake.

well I am an asswipe and just bought them out of a catalog based on mics in that price range and what came with them

I did some searches and nothing really came up on the nady, guess cause its new still

I'll play around with it tonight and see what I can get out of that sucker

tyler cant help it if he is a recpro and much smarter than everybody else here except me....

Jplush - you didnt make a bad buy. the chinese mics are all made by 3 or 4 big companies in china that have been copying german designs for decades.

communist east germany and china had a technology sharing deal.

the main beefs with chinese mics are uneven quality control and cheaper electronics.

but look at the great price you got!

you could very well have gotten a very good mic.

work with it and improve your technique and down the road get another mic and you will be able to compare.

chances are you will be using that mic for a long time.

i have 2 nady scm 900 large diaphragm condensers i got for bass cab and bass drum. they are basically the same as marshalls and made by the same company. for the price they are fantastic. 79$ each a year ago.

i would like to have one of the tube models.

JPlush, if you can return the mic here's something to think about... you can get a really good mic with shockmount for about $150, there are several to choose from. That frees up another $150 to spend on other gear such as a mic pre, a compressor/limiter or acoustic treatment for your room. As far as which mic to buy, I'm not the most experienced guy on the board but I have an MXL 2003 that I really like.

the mxl and the nady are made by the same company.

the studio projects are chinese mics as well.

all the ones we are talking about are except the audio technica.

my audio technica was made in taiwan.

Back