I think I bought the wrong synth

lyricist

I bought a roland rs-70 a few months ago.

It's great for playing the keys on it.

But as far as composing a song it's not so great.

IMO the sounds are kind of limited and I don't think it's possible to save as a WAV, etc file.. So you end up only having a midi file to use.

I need to beable to create original songs with a lot of deep sounding guitars as well as drums in there. On the roland it only has 2 guitar sounds I like.

I'm in Hawaii and the music stores here didn't have a lot of choice, so I had to guess at what to buy basically and ordered it from zzounds.com.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good unit I could buy? I was kind of looking into a roland phantom but i'm not too sure..

I would like to be able to save the finished song as WAV or anything similar. And dont want anything too complicated....pretty easy to understand unit with a little patience.

Hm.. I know they say it's better to record vocals seperatly but if I could record the vocals onto the unit that would be good. Which is something the phantom has.

Any ideas?? Realistic sounding electric guitars. cymbals, and piano.. Will be used for a lot of "rock"(ish) songs.

For an idea of the sound looking for you can visit: http://myspace.com/abettertomorrow

I'm sure real instruments were used and eventually we will get to that. But for now would like some decent sounding things on a synth or what not.

Tia.

ETA- would also like to beable to upload midi files onto the synth and have it displayed in layers that allows me to edit and change instrument sounds per layer

Last edited:
Your best bet would have probably been to get a simple midi interface and a software samplere like Sampletank(which to me is one of the simplest to use.) Kontakt is also a great soft sampler. Both are VST compatible so you could use them in Cubase or Logic without a hitch. They probably have a DX version of the plugin. Then there's the purchasing of the actual samples which can be expensive but will give you the most realistic sounds. Unfortunately, nothing will be able to give you the variance and dynamics of a real guitar. The drums and piano however, should sound pretty convincing.

Back