I see 16vs24 but what about 24vs32f?

radiation8

This is kinda a newb question, but maybe not, I dont know till people start making fun of me LOL JK.

Anyways I see the debates on 16bit vs 24bit, but I havent really seen anything on 24 vs 32 (float?). And Ive even tryed doing a search but no real luck.

And I hope I dont start somthing, but I assumed its best to record in 32? It least I have always done so.

Any input would be great.

32BFP is a calculation depth - Not a recording depth. There is no (and will likely never be any) 32-bit hardware.

With 32 bit, you are still recording a 24 bit signal. Your DAW calculates at 32 bit. If you do any destructive processing, 32 bit is the way to go because it keeps the calculation depth of the processing. If you don't do any destructive processing, 24 bit will get you the same resolution with a smaller file size.

I use 24 bit.

32BFP is a calculation depth - Not a recording depth. There is no (and will likely never be any) 32-bit hardware.

I think some Yamaha digital boards run internally at 32 bit fixed . . . but no, there never will be any 32 bit dynamic range (192dB) hardware. The laws of physics dictate that much dynamic range is electrically impossible--acoustically too, unless you are recording a symphony of gnats and cannons ;)

Back