I screwed up bad

Got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach when I read your OP.
I am REALLY hoping recuva finds and recovers your files.
This is as previously mentioned a real fear for all of us and a good reminder to back my stuff up often.
Fingers, toes, eyes all crossed !!!

there was a big "audio" folder that had a lot of stuff in there. I dragged and dropped in the on external hard drive it took several minutes to load in there.

It's on your external drive? Cool!!!! Just copy it back to the location Cubase is expecting. Am I missing something? It tells you exactly the file it wants and where it should be located. If it's in the big Audio file on your external drive, just copy it back to where it should be.

It's on your external drive? Cool!!!! Just copy it back to the location Cubase is expecting. Am I missing something? It tells you exactly the file it wants and where it should be located. If it's in the big Audio file on your external drive, just copy it back to where it should be.

If you moved a folder to a different drive then deleted the original, can't you just put it back?!

Tips for future.
1: Copy and paste - don't move.
2: keep the original, always.
3: have a backup of the original
4: make a zip archive or large sessions once in a while.
If anything goes wrong, you can always unzip it and go back a few days.

Hope you find some luck buddy! :)

Last edited:
well the files were recovered. I recovered them all to a folder I created in C:drive. Only problem is that when I open Cubase I get the same box that lists the missing audio files. I click on "seach for file" and Cubase finds the file now (it wasn't finding the files before). But, when I click on "accept" I get a cubase error message that says "Error:Invadaid or unsupported file!".

well the files were recovered. I recovered them all to a folder I created in C:drive. Only problem is that when I open Cubase I get the same box that lists the missing audio files. I click on "seach for file" and Cubase finds the file now (it wasn't finding the files before). But, when I click on "accept" I get a cubase error message that says "Error:Invadaid or unsupported file!".

Right click properties to make sure they're .wav files. If they are, see if cubase has an option to reconstruct the file/folder/project.

Last edited:

Not sure what your issue now is or if this is related, but I recently had that error message with a file share. It was a zipped folder. I extracted them to another folder and all was good.

Just throwing shit at the fan man.

Best of luck to ya.

Not sure what your issue now is or if this is related, but I recently had that error message with a file share. It was a zipped folder. I extracted them to another folder and all was good.

Yeah sometimes these types of errors are file system problems, issue with permissions (i.e. don't write them to read only locations like desktop), etc. Or they can be daw specific/weird glitches, or the file can be corrupt and have a problem with file headers/pointers or something like that. His best bet is googling the specific error and if nothing comes up posting on cubase's forum and asking them. Good luck, Jimi.

Ideally you want to put them back exactly where they're meant to be so cubase doesn't even have to look for them at all.
If you can do that, that'd be perfect.

Glad to hear your files are intact. That's the main thing. It's probably going to be a gigantic pain to get everything back where it should be, but at least your files are safe. Might want to make a backup copy before going any further.

Exactly! Stop everything immediately.

The 'BIG' audio folder would be the one you needed. If I duplicated my audio folder from my drives it would likely take a couple hours with the internal drives.

I am not sure you lost the Audio files yet, but you damn well need to try to find them now.

Here will be your issue, Cubase will name a file as you record it as you have set for each project folder. Default would be your track name/each consecutive track I believe. So in other words, you could have numerous 'Audio' files named 'E:\Bust Project\Audio\Bass1_02.wav. If you lose the directory, there may be several project folders with 'Bass1_02.wav file in it. But not from the same project folder.

This is why you should always: backup-backup-backup. And that means not just copy of files. Make sure you actually backup the folder via Cubase/not just copy of folders in Windows...

I feel for you man. I really do... :(

I use a external drive that backs up anytime a file is added or changed. so you are saying also use the backup function in Cubase? do you backup to the external drive? I use a WD Mybook for the backups using the backup software on the drive. Thanks

I have a collaboration going with Lt Bob that is so cool. Stax type blues/soul with a full horn section and sax solo. I guess I'm gonna have to tell him that we don't have a project to add his horn parts to now.
shit....it really sucks. Also, I've been recording over the last 5 years with my best friend and drummer of many decades. He has late stage terminal lung cancer and every raw drum track he ever recorded was on my computer in cubase.
This is a devastating loss. Not as much for me...hell, I can record more tracks. But, his work has been vaporized and he can't play anymore.
Luckily I have some decent mixes of our recordings on stereo wav. files to pass along to his 2 sons (both musicians). After he is gone I planned on making drums only mixes of all our songs to pass along to them to record with if they so desired.

I don't think I have the heart to tell him I screwed the file up on all our work.

Last edited:
I have a collaboration going with Lt Bob that is so cool. Stax type blues/soul with a full horn section and sax solo. I guess I'm gonna have to tell him that we don't have a project to add his horn parts to now.
shit....it really sucks. Also, I've been recording over the last 5 years with my best friend and drummer of many decades. He has late stage terminal lung cancer and every raw drum track he ever recorded was on my computer in cubase.
This is a devastating loss. Not as much for me...hell, I can record more tracks. But, his work has been vaporized and he can't play anymore.
Luckily I have some decent mixes of our recordings on stereo wav. files to pass along to his 2 sons (both musicians). After he is gone I planned on making drums only mixes of all our songs to pass along to them to record with if they so desired.

I don't think I have the heart to tell him I screwed the file up on all our work.

Have you been reading the advice given in this thread??? :confused:

Have you been reading the advice given in this thread??? :confused:
yes, I can't get Cubase to accept the files. I'm going to have to try and find someone who is more computer literate than myself to take a look at it. But, IMHO the recovered tracks not being accepted by cubase us not good. Im moving into the "acceptance" phase I guess. I'm just not a good computer geek at all. I love to record and make music but on the technical computer and DAW side of things I am way behind the curve. One reason I don't have a bigger volume of recorded work is because of the lack of understanding of the DAW basics. I learned just enough to turn it on, arm a track, and push record and I have paid for being clueless on most of it.....including this mess I have created trying to make more space available on my pc hard drive

Last edited:
yes, I can't get Cubase to accept the files. I'm going to have to try and find someone who is more computer literate than myself to take a look at it. But, IMHO the recovered tracks not being accepted by cubase us not good. Im moving into the "acceptance" phase I guess. I'm just not a good computer geek at all. I love to record and make music but on the technical computer and DAW side of things I am way behind the curve. One reason I don't have a bigger volume of recorded work is because of the lack of understanding of the DAW basics. I learned just enough to turn it on, arm a track, and push record and I have paid for being clueless on most of it.....including this mess I have created trying to make more space available on my pc hard drive

If you allow me access to your computer i can probably fix it...i forget the software to do this, but there is some that allows others to see your screens and access the files. I'd just ask you have a true backup of it all so i don't lose anything!

If you allow me access to your computer i can probably fix it...i forget the software to do this, but there is some that allows others to see your screens and access the files. I'd just ask you have a true backup of it all so i don't lose anything!

I will have to bring it in my house. I don't have Internet service in my studio. It's an old dell computer....I don't know if it automatically detects wireless wifi. If it doesn't how would I connect?

RealVNC or similar might be what you're thinking of?

Heh. I have a buddy who is computer illiterate (not that you are Jimi).
Remotely accessing has been a god send.

I will have to bring it in my house. I don't have Internet service in my studio. It's an old dell computer....I don't know if it automatically detects wireless wifi. If it doesn't how would I connect?

Never mind this question....I have Google this and I see what I need to connect to wifi

---------- Update ----------

RealVNC or similar might be what you're thinking of?

Heh. I have a buddy who is computer illiterate (not that you are Jimi).
Remotely accessing has been a god send.

I'm computer illiterate. It's OK to say it...everyone knows it.
lol

To avoid this in the future, for every song create a separate folder. When you create the session in that folder, it will create the three sub-folders that contain all the info for that song. Each song folder will contain only the files for that song. That way, if you delete something, you will only delete one songs worth of stuff, not all the audio you have recorded since the dawn of time.

It also makes it easier to move things around. You just grab the song folder, which should be a sub-folder of the project/album folder and move it. All the necessary files will move with it and cubase will not have to search far and wide to find where the audio files are now.

Back