I saw Buzz Melvin Kissing Santa.

I don't wanna say too much about this--i know i have crappy gear (except my drumset!), cheap mics (well not TOO cheap) and not much experience mixing, but i hope you all will listen to this year's family xmas album's rendition of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." and rip it a new a-hole! :eek:

i am playing all the instruments, and am the male voice (i suck) and my sisters and GF are the femmes. i have the most trouble with the vox. had i my druthers i would take out the ladies and let someone else who CAN sing sing the lead! :rolleyes:

so here ya go, i appreciate your comments! it's long, but the last minute and a half is feedback so you can stop when the drums fade. :D

[mp3]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5292212/kissing_santa7.mp3[/mp3]

Last edited:
Great job on making it sound pretty much exactly like the Melvins. Buzz does not go by "Buzz Melvin", though.

Great job on making it sound pretty much exactly like the Melvins. Buzz does not go by "Buzz Melvin", though.

thank you! that was my goal, but since the Melvins have done so much varied shtuff, i figure just being in the ballpark is good enough.

and..he doesn't? oh, well, i heard it somewhere. or did I? :p:o:confused:

any comments about the song itself? the mix, the EQ, the arrangement? anything?

Very good mix and the EQ is good, very round balanced sound, very very slight timing issues, what DAW did you use to record? does it offer quantization?

Very good mix and the EQ is good, very round balanced sound, very very slight timing issues, what DAW did you use to record? does it offer quantization?

hey thanks! the timing issues are my playing! i use reaper, and i'm still learning it. i believe it does offer quantization. that's something i need to figure out--never used it on audio before. i did use the time stretch feature to try to correct some drum flubs, but there again i need practice.

i spent more time on this one than on the other 3 on the xmas album. so it's good to hear i did something right EQ-wise. thanks alot for your comments!

Lol. That's demented. Nice job. I'm not crazy about the kick, but the rest is pretty good.

ooh, i like demented! thanks!

what don't you like about the kick? lemme guess--a little muddy in the low mids? i tried really hard to get that sounding good--any advice would be really appreciated!

Hehehe I like this one. I agree with Gergly on the kick. Some multiband compression might fix that. If you're in reaper, it has ReaXComp. Compress the extreme lows a little bit, and the mid-highs. The guitar sound good. I think the snare can use a bit more crack. Bringing in some more of the dry track may work. Funny song. Awesome.

Hehehe I like this one. I agree with Gergly on the kick. Some multiband compression might fix that. If you're in reaper, it has ReaXComp. Compress the extreme lows a little bit, and the mid-highs. The guitar sound good. I think the snare can use a bit more crack. Bringing in some more of the dry track may work. Funny song. Awesome.

thanks alot squibble, i'll definately give your suggestions a try!

ooh, i like demented! thanks!

what don't you like about the kick? lemme guess--a little muddy in the low mids? i tried really hard to get that sounding good--any advice would be really appreciated!

It's not really muddy, or bad, it's just sort of uninspiring and too natural sounding. Kind of flat. I'd try to maybe compress some more body and presence out of it. It has a good natural tone to it, so I don't think it would need too much EQ.

Back