God rest Ye, bruthuhs, don't worry bout a thing...

hi all, one more from the xmas album mill that is me. this is my attempt to vaguely T-Pain (don't worry--it didn't work) the song "God rest ye merry Gentlemen." mostly midi save for some a-guitar and vocals.

again, my male voice, my sisters' female voices (my GF has yet to record) and me on everything else.

i worked alot on the arrangement, well, not ALOT, but some. really curious what i could do better.

wondering how you hear the string synth sittiing with the guitar and vox in the 2nd half of the song.

thanks y'all!

[mp3]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5292212/god%20rest%20ye%204.mp3[/mp3]

ff

Last edited:
the vocal affect is kinda distracting, the guitar is much nicer than the synth stuff ;)

Sounds like you kept everything in time, somehow even with midi I do not always :D

Some of the synth is a little crazy sounding (like the one at the end), a good effort though!

I would sing it straight and make the guitar more center, but thats just me, and what do I know?? (very little ;) )

I think you had something going on in the beginning but you added that plucked string thing, etc. Keep it simple, it will work better.

Some of it sounds really cool, the guitars and stuff, but a lot of it just sounds stupid to me. Probably not as stupid as my version that I recorded this year of the same song. Check out my "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen.

God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen by Flatulated

Hmm, thanks for your opinion, me F. yr version compared to my version is apples to oranges, but i'll take what i can from it.

can you be more specific about what you mean by "stupid?" like, is it the arangement that sucks balls, or is it the EQ that blows donkey? i know the song really is shite, but i'd like to know WHY yo think it's shite.

thanks! merry xmas. (yr song rocks, of course, btw! :) )
ff

the vocal affect is kinda distracting, the guitar is much nicer than the synth stuff ;)

Sounds like you kept everything in time, somehow even with midi I do not always :D

Some of the synth is a little crazy sounding (like the one at the end), a good effort though!

I would sing it straight and make the guitar more center, but thats just me, and what do I know?? (very little ;) )

yr too modest! thanks for your input--i appreciate the specifics. i have no idea how i kept it all in time. it just happened. maybe it's the Reaper DAW, maybe the Mac. no clue. i'm new to midi myself!

I'll try it without the vocal effect. but since this is for friends and family, i'll keep it for them! i think they'll get a laugh! :)

i DO like the synth craziness! but i'm into that sorta thing. most folks here are into rock and metal, it seems. so maybe i'm asking the wrong crowd...? :?

anyway, i ramble. thanks again! ff

Really, I like pretty much all the synth stuff, other than that one grating sound... mostly at the end but it pops up a few times, if you just swapped it out with something less grating I would like it better. There are a few electronic guys around here, I am not one of them but that doesnt mean I cant appreciate good music wherever it comes from and whatever it sounds like :D

I don't see the point of the rap stylings of the intro.
The singing & playing is good enough to catty the piece without the hiphopscotch beat.

It just sounds silly. I guess it's the whole fruity loops hip hop/rap vibe going on that I find wacky.

It just sounds silly. I guess it's the whole fruity loops hip hop/rap vibe going on that I find wacky.

y'know, it's funny. i think i started this song with the goal of stupid tongue-in-cheekery in mind, but then i got a bit attached to it. like i gace birth to a reterded clown, but ended up seeing it as, well, Stephen Hawking or something (ok i suck at analogies...)

but thank you, all the same, mr F, for changing your adjective from "stupid" to "wacky, silly."

I don't see the point of the rap stylings of the intro.
The singing & playing is good enough to catty the piece without the hiphopscotch beat.

lol--re: rap stylings--THAT was the original seed for the tongue-in-cheekery. i know-- it sets a context that sort of evaporates. i don't listen to this kind of music much, so it's like drawing from memory--i got the nose right but not the eyes. and it looks vaguely like Ice-T, but a little like Mr T. too. or is that Leonard Nimoy? i can't tell. :-/

Back