I Really Really Need Help Please!

big bodi

I trying to build a small studio in my basement...all i have is a mic.....i need to know what all i really need first...like a recorder and all the basics.......thanx

What is your budget?

The basic items you will need are:
- Recorder (Tape or Disk)
- Mixer (Analog or Digital)
- Monitors (Studio Monitors, Stereo Speakers , or Headphones)
- Cables to hook things together
- Microphones (Condenser, Dynamic, Ribbon, etc.)
- Reverb Effects Unit
- A GOOD pair of EARS

Other gear you might need once you gain experience:
- EQ (Multi-Band or Parametric)
- Compressor (Compressors or Limiters)
- Multi-Effects Unit (Reverb, Flanger, Chorus, Delay, etc.)
- More Microphones

The combination and quality of the equipment you will need all depends on how much are you willing to spend.

great that was just waht i was lookin for.......one more thing..is it a MUST to have a mic pre amp and what is a Reverb Effects Unit??

Hop over to the newbies forum. Lots of good info there if you look around.

This forum mainly covers "how many layers of drywall should I use to get this and that result...", which is of course very good to know but it's also the final step:)

Most mixers have mic-preamps on them. If you are on a tight budget, you can get by with them. If you don't like the on-board mic-pre's that com on your mixer and your budget allows one, buy an outboard mic-pre.

I say a reverb effects unit because "IMO" this is the bare minimum effects needed for recording. Many times an effects unit that just has Reverb can be less expensive than a multi-effects unit. I find that multi-effects are targeted more for individual tracks.

Don't spend a lot of money right now!

I't sounds like you are just getting started on this long and expensive journey.....

Read all you can and be patient... don't buy too quickly, or you will end up with equipment that you later realize is poor quality or inconvienient to use.

What instruments do you own and play?
This answer will help us give you some suggestions on recording

Sincerely;

Dom Franco

Back