I need your help.

Canibus

I need help choosing a mic. I currently have a digital reference DR-CX1 which I believe is just a rebranded audio technica at2020. I'm hoping to get something thats better. I'm considering getting an MXL 990 but now I'm hesitant since people have been saying it's a low quality mic. I'm also considering the MXL R144. I also know that the r144 will need a higher gain since It's a ribbon mic. Will the preamp in the fast track pro be good enough? Does anyone have any input on that one when it comes to vocals?

Here are some references to help you help me.
-I need a mic for singing
-my voice might be nasally and I don't have the strongest voice yet
-I record in a room with no sound proofing.
-The mic will be hooked up to a M audio fast track pro
-needs to be under $100

Thank you for your time.

-

Last edited:
not a fan personally with those mics, although im particularly fond of the Sterling Audio ST51 for mics under $100. and you might even be able to find these mics on ebay and craigslist for less.
I was thinking about the perception series but if you "might" be nasally that might not be the best suggestion because i own a perception 200 and its not wonderful with male vocals.

yes I am finding them considerably cheaper other places so that makes buying them more tempting. You say you're not a fan so does that mean you've personally used them? If so, why didn't you like them.

yes. i bought, used, then sold them. there okay, but with all the other choices of $100 mics, i dont think they match them. Their very thin sounding and i simply didnt think they reproduced sound properly. Especially with vocals. But theirs many people who would argue differently. its just my opinion. Good, but not great compared to other mics in the price range.

I can get the MXL 550 and 551 for $74 which I would think is a great deal for the mic. I also want to know if these mics I listed are at least better than the one I have now. I also want to know if a ribbon mic would be a bad choice since Im recording in a room. Would it pick up too much background noise?

if the mic u have is actually an at2020, i personally like it better than the 990. but once again, only my preference.
and with a ribbon mic, which i think your referring to an mxl r144, correct me if im wrong, it could be a nice idea. With the issue of background noise, it depends on many things. how quiet the room is is important. but i dont think it would be much more sensitive than the condensers at this price point.
Its a possibility, you live and learn. You only know by experiencing them yourself i suppose.

A ribbon would depend. Put an sE reflexion filter behind it and have a large instrument infront and the figure 8 pattern takes care of the flanks. In theory.

That would work wonders in an untreated room! the problem with that is our friend here more than likely doesnt have the budget to buy reflection filter, which most cost as much as he wants to spend on the mic itself. but, it could be a later investment for him when the time comes.

You could always take the mattress off the bed and stand it up on a wall. Couch coushins and other means to an end. We just got new carpet here and there's a few scraps leftover that I intend to use as room treatment. Not ideal, but it should have some effect and probably more beneficial than detrimental. Although I wont really know until I use them to some degree. Just saying that you don't need to buy the engineered products, you can mimmic them to a degree with available materials. Not that you'll be able to attrack big names to your studio if it looks like a barn (even if it IS a barn).

Do any of these mics produce a warm smooth sound? I also have another question. When I'm singing and I get louder that part of the vocal is muffled when I play it back. Is there some setting I can use in adobe audition to help with this even though I don't have a compressor. I could just lower the decibel level but then that part of the vocal track will be lower than the rest.

..I also have another question. When I'm singing and I get louder that part of the vocal is muffled when I play it back. Is there some setting I can use in adobe audition to help with this even though I don't have a compressor. I could just lower the decibel level but then that part of the vocal track will be lower than the rest.

How close are you in general when this happens? You have the option to controll the low end rise and thickness (as well as volume) of a directional mic with distance.
(Hmm, had this come up again in two days..

How close are you in general when this happens? You have the option to controll the low end rise and thickness (as well as volume) of a directional mic with distance.
(Hmm, had this come up again in two days..

I am usually very close. I usually have my mouth very close to the pop filter. So are you saying if I just back up that will go away. Doesn't that mean I will just have to increase the gain on my mic or should I just raise the decible level of that vocal when I'm mixing.

If you've ever seen an operatic singer with a hand held mic, you see them pull the mic about a yard away when they go for the gusto. Manual compression? Not as easily done with a stationary mic, but you can adjust some distance. Or do what the announcers do and just face away from the mic for screams and the likes. Not ideal, but an option. It does take some talent / knowledge to use the gear in that way. I just tend towards mics with high SPL ratings 140dB+ and run the gain a little lower. But I'm not a singer either. Otherwise just back away from the mic in general. Distance has it's own compression.

I think a mic with a high spl would be ideal for my singing so I think I'm gonna save a little money and get a audio technica at3035. I have the at2020 and like it. I'm guessing the at3035 would be an improvement since its like it's slightly bigger more expensive brother.

... So are you saying if I just back up that will go away. Doesn't that mean I will just have to increase the gain on my mic or should I just raise the decible level of that vocal when I'm mixing.

Saying experiment with distance, even position up or down, all these things set your tone balance and style, as much or more than a new mic.
If you were 2" from the diaphragm try four, and six.
You might have to raise the level a little, or on the other hand if you're backing off a bit just on the loud parts it might be fine as it is –and maybe you won't have to turn those parts down or compress them as much later anyway.

Does anyone here have the at2020 and at2035? Or has anyone here used both? Is the 3035 an improvement over the at2020. Will there be less distortion with that mic?

I need help choosing a mic.... I'm considering getting an MXL 990 but now I'm hesitant since people have been saying it's a low quality mic. ...

-

somebody will badmouth any choice you consider
our church uses mxl990s and they sound good
we have a pro singer and he uses that mike at home
for $50-70 (price varies up and down) you get a decent mike
no low cut , no db pad, but does come with shockmount!
and case. you get what you buy. this is not a bad choice.

Back