I need your help to build the PERFECT home studio

Ken D. Webber

Hello, I am a professional illustrator who is poised for greatness in the future. I always have an eye open on future plans and music is also an area that I seek to expand into. I am also a musician so I am asking all the Home recordist's that I can think of to send me their suggestions on how to build the perfect dream Home studio. I need your advice and your imagination. If you were to suddenly come upon say, ten million dollars, and wanted to build the PERFECT recording studio what would be included? What equipment is an absolute must have when cost is no consideration? What musical equipment would you need for perfection? Do you have any links to manufacturers and suppliers? Are there any things that I should know about the setting for the studio itself? Wall designs and the form of the structure? What about the environment itself such as ways to make it artist friendly? Are there any nightmares that you have encountered or shoddy equipment manufacturers that should be avoided? I am looking for the most PERFECT STUDIO you can imagine with full digital capabilities. I look forward to hearing your list of suggestions, email me, and thank you for all that you can offer! Ken D. Webber / Artist

Not sure why you are asking this in the Tascam area, or whether you actually have the $10 million (in which case you could hire someone to design your studio for you, instead of getting questionable advice for free on the internet), or whether you are recording for your own amusement or expect to make money off a home studio, or...

Anyway, I just bought equipment piece by piece as I needed it. Do your research and buy *one* piece of gear, such as a recording deck, and learn how to use it. Then it will become obvious that you could really use an effects processor, say, for reverb, or monitors, and so you research that and buy the what suits your needs. There is no single "best"; there is a best for you or best for a given purpose.

If you went out and spent all your money at once, you would end up with a roomful of equipment that you don't know how to use, and you would be lost. Some of the equipment you would probably never use.

If you simply must spend a tremendous amount of money, spend it on setting up the actual room to have good acoustics, room-within-room soundproofing, a separate control room, and like that. At the worst, you will have an excellent rehearsal space.

Do you aspire to be a songwriter, a producer,
an instrumentalist or an arranger? Do you need to record the NY Philharmonic live in your studio or do you simply need a means to record your ideas? Sometimes I'm sitting in my studio surrounded by all my instruments and equipment and I think to myself " Maybe all I really to do is sit at my kitchen table with a mic, a guitar and a twenty dollar cassette recorder/player".

Ten million will get you alot. Ten thousand will get you alot, so will ten hundred. Go to a reputable music store and play with the toys there.If you discover a toy that's fun for you,you enjoy playing with it, and you think you can use it to suit your purposes, buy it.What's best for you is what you like best.

If you think you really need a "perfect" room to record in, go hire an architect that specializes in acoustic design. Personally I don't really believe in that sort of thing. I've found it's possible to make a good recording in any kind of room if you know what you're doing.

A perfect recording studio is not necessarily a guarantee of "future greatness".

Do you aspire to be a songwriter, a producer,
an instrumentalist or an arranger? Do you need to record the NY Philharmonic live in your studio or do you simply need a means to record your ideas? Sometimes I'm sitting in my studio surrounded by all my instruments and equipment and I think to myself " Maybe all I really to do is sit at my kitchen table with a mic, a guitar and a twenty dollar cassette recorder/player".

Ten million will get you alot. Ten thousand will get you alot, so will ten hundred. Go to a reputable music store and play with the toys there. Find out which toys are fun for you to play with. Find out which toys suit your purposes. Find out what your like and buy it.What's best for you is what you like best.

If you think you really need a "perfect" room to record in, go hire an architect that specializes in acoustic design. Personally I don't really believe in that sort of thing. I've found it's possible to make a good recording in any kind of room if you know what you're doing.

A perfect recording studio is not necessarily a guarantee of "future greatness".

I think I know what "toy" you like to play with... The double-headed, 2 speed, ebony-powered KONG!!! 8 D-size batteries not included.

Hey G8-N. Or is it S8-N? We know what "toys" you like to play with. You've posted detailed descriptions of all the "toys" you like to play with. Every time you post, you reveal a little bit more about what you really like.

Reactions: TAE
Back