I need to replace the saddle on my Martin

Is it as easy as ordering one on line? Or is there some kind of adjustment I need to do to the new one?

You can see the problem. Sorry for the huge image.

Thanks.

Attachments

• SWDGT_Saddle.JPG
    SWDGT_Saddle.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 30
I used one from guitar center that their tech had and just pick one. My guitar isn't as nice as a Martin, 30 year old Fender acoustic, but the prefabricated saddle worked and put the strings at a good spot. I think they are made to a depth standard, but you might have to get it "customized" for your setup. I am not as picky, as I am not a guitar player, I just play guitar.

It is a simple job for a guitar tech and wouldn't cost a bunch anyway but you can do it yourself. First, do you have under-saddle pickup on there because that may influence your decision? Under-saddlle pickups demand that they have even pressure along the entire length to sound balanced. If you don't have undersaddle then you can simply find a saddle the same size or near to and sand/ file to fit the slot and action. A lot of Martins have compensated saddles where the saddle is graduated to accommodate for intonation where possible. That only applies to single type and gauge of string..

When I fit a new saddle I also carry out an inspection of the bridge plate and pin holes as well. If the saddle has worn badly the chances are they have too and will need attention. That can be more expensive.

I used one from guitar center that their tech had and just pick one. My guitar isn't as nice as a Martin, 30 year old Fender acoustic, but the prefabricated saddle worked and put the strings at a good spot. I think they are made to a depth standard, but you might have to get it "customized" for your setup. I am not as picky, as I am not a guitar player, I just play guitar.
I thought it would be that simple, like just put a piece of plastic in there and be done with it. But when I started looking I found it to be a little more involved. What worries me is the intonation. The guitar as is is pretty accurate but there is too much buzz up high that I attribute to the damaged saddle. I read the specs on it and it is made of tusq and I even stress over that. Like does that mean tusk as in walrus tusk or it that short for something else? I'm starting to sweat right now/

It is a simple job for a guitar tech and wouldn't cost a bunch anyway but you can do it yourself. First, do you have under-saddle pickup on there because that may influence your decision? Under-saddlle pickups demand that they have even pressure along the entire length to sound balanced. If you don't have undersaddle then you can simply find a saddle the same size or near to and sand/ file to fit the slot and action. A lot of Martins have compensated saddles where the saddle is graduated to accommodate for intonation where possible. That only applies to single type and gauge of string..

When I fit a new saddle I also carry out an inspection of the bridge plate and pin holes as well. If the saddle has worn badly the chances are they have too and will need attention. That can be more expensive.

No there is no pickup, it's a simple acoustic guitar. I guess I will take it to a tech.

Thanks guys.

I used to work at Martin for almost 15 years before my wife and I moved to Ga. I suggest taking it to an authorized Martin repair shop and not taking it to GC! Or at the very least, an experienced luthier. Depending on the model, some of the Martin saddles are glued in. Ive seen some awful things come in to the plant after the wrong person tried to repair it, which voids the warranty. If you are the original owner, saddle repair is covered under warranty.

Martin only glue in the long slot saddles. You may find them these days on the Marquis, GE and the Authentic models.

I took it to Uncle Sams Jamms last Saturday. They sold me a Tusq saddle that was the exact length & height, but once he mic'd the original for thick, I knew I'd have to sand it. So I put it in my vice and hit with a belt sander. A few passes and it was done. Yeah it was not glued in but I knew that having almost lost it when changing strings.

Back