I need to power my monitors

aquaman

I just bought a pair of KRK ST-8 monitors and I need an amp for them. The problem is that I have read conflcting opinions on what sort of amp is compatible with what speakers. The KRK manual says an amp should be capable of outputing 1.5 times the wattage of the speakers to keep from underpowering your speakers. The Nady web site said that the peak wattage of your speakers should be TWICE that of your amp to keep from blowing out your speakers. These are conflicting statements. Can some one please advise what specs an amp should have to power my monitors? The specs of the KRK ST-8's are: 60-120 Watts into 8 Ohms.
Thanks a bunch.

Go with the power, but use it responsibly. Overpowering gives you a lot of head room (which is good) but abused, can blow the speakers (which is bad).

I would have no problem hooking up an amp anywhere from 60-200 watts to those units.

Perhaps a new Hafler TA series or a used TransNova series, or a used Bryston (oh yeah!) would do you fine.

aquaman said:
I just bought a pair of KRK ST-8 monitors and I need an amp for them. The problem is that I have read conflcting opinions on what sort of amp is compatible with what speakers. The KRK manual says an amp should be capable of outputing 1.5 times the wattage of the speakers to keep from underpowering your speakers. The Nady web site said that the peak wattage of your speakers should be TWICE that of your amp to keep from blowing out your speakers. These are conflicting statements. Can some one please advise what specs an amp should have to power my monitors? The specs of the KRK ST-8's are: 60-120 Watts into 8 Ohms.
Thanks a bunch.

Keep an eye open for a used Hafler P3000 on eBay. They usually go for about $300.

Getting information from the Nady website is not recomended. Maybe because their stuff is over rated power wise, you need 2X the power with their stuff. 1.5x with everyone elses'.

Back