I need to learn Pro Tools but...

I run all my VST plugins and VSTi plugins on Pro Tools using the fxpansion VST-to-RTAS adapter. At $99, it's a must-have. It translated every plugin I have. It's a wrapper, but I haven't noticed a single issue with latency or had any other problems with it. My VSTis sound great, and my VST plugins work great too. That said, I already had all of my best plugins in RTAS format, since 99% of the major manufacturers already support it. But now I can use all my freeware and "cheapware" stuff too. Lemme tell you, it's pretty cool running FruityLoops inside of Pro Tools...

No, I don't use the UAD-1. I have a TDM system on my Mac (I don't use the wrapper there) and an LE system on my PC, and no need for the UAD-1, though I have heard it does work with the fxpansion wrapper in the last few updates.

I use the PC for composition, etc, running FruityLoops inside of Pro Tools, etc. All my music "creation" tools except for the Virus synth are on the PC side. Then I dump the sessions to a firewire drive and move them to the Mac for additional tracking and mixing.

I'll start by saying i'm a sonar 3 user. I have 0 experience with pro tools so i'm staing now that i am not an expert at all.

I am wondering what actual features pro tools has that sonar doesn't. Is there a specific job you could get done that you couldn't with sonar. Is the work flow better? I find sonar to be very smooth as far as following a project though. For the quality of signal processors, i would say that it depends on what you use. You could use what comes standard with sonar or you could buy an expenseive waves package. I guess what i'm saying is taht i was under the impression that all the software packages out there were pretty much equal, not counting extra plugins.

Also it was mentioned that Pro tools had superior A/D converters. I know they are pretty good but those found in a lynx or RME are far better. Persoanlly i don't have a clue as i don't use either. Can anybody confirm or deny this? I'm just curious.

mino - The main problem that i find with Sonar is that it is WDM and not ASIO. The latency is extreme. But can you get the job done on Sonar? Of course, but in a different way. I dont find Sonar to be as smooth working as something like Nuendo.

But thats all a matter of preference.

What ive heard about the 96 i/o is it uses close to the same converters as the Motu 2408mk3. They arnt bad at all, but still not amazing. Lynx and RME are considered better converters, but its always arguable.

Danny

ahhh i see

well the new sonar allows you to use ASIO drivers, i use them. But i see what you meah, its a personal preference thing....

Sonar 3 lets you do ASIO? Thats great to know. I was wondering when they were going to kick into that.

Danny

Pro Tools doesn't let you do anything that other packages don't except for use certain plugins. Most other tools have a better MIDI feature set. It's also not the tool of choice for Acid-style loop-based composition.

That said, for tracking, editing, and mixing, it's as good as anything I've seen, and extremely easy to use. The reason it's been succesful is that it is very easy to transition from a mixer/tape machine setup to Pro Tools. Nothing complex or complicated about the workflow.

The other advantage is the plugin support--some manufacturers will only release plugins that require hardware, due to widespread cracking. Because all Pro Tools systems require Digidesign hardware, you will see plugins on Pro Tools--even on Pro Tools native systems, like LE--that you won't see in VST or DX format. For example, the Sony Oxford plugins (these run on other hardware too, but you'll never see them in a non-hardware solution), McDSP (on the Mac) and Bomb Factory.

charger said:
It's also not the tool of choice for Acid-style loop-based composition.

Sorry for quoting you again Charger.... but again I'd disagree with you on this (in a positive way of course). PT maybe isn't as conveinent as Acid's looping software, but I think it's capable of doing the same thing in just a different way. A combination of identify beat and time stretching can create a loop the length you want. Then just do a duplicate to make it however long you want. :cool:

Yes, I loop with it all the time, but it is not easy to do. You can't lay out a song of loops, and then change the tempo and have it all work, you have to redo all the loops. That's what I mean when I say it's not a good looping tool. And also, you have to process loops to get them to the right tempo--whereas something like Acid or FruityLoops does it on the fly.

It doesn't bother me, it's still my DAW of choice, and I can run FruityLoops in it (via VST-to-RTAS adapter) or alongside it (via Rewire) to handle all the loop stuff.

Audiomedia III

Nik D said:
I need to learn PT for future jobs as it's an industry standard and I need to know it inside and out, even though I use and love nuendo. The free version would be great but it only works on Win 98. Is the cheapest way to get PT is to get the bundled software with the M Box? I just want the software, not any of their shitty hardware to go with it. I hate pro tools....

I wanted to jump into Pro Tools too .. but not waste to much cash. I opted for an old, dis-continued Audiomedia III off Ebay. It came with Pro Tools 5.1.1 ... and you can upgrade to 6.1 (I think, but not 6.4).

Far cheaper than the M box ... it has 4 ins ... and its PCI.

Now I have the compatibility with studios that I wanted. My only compliant so far is bad latency ... but I think that is chiefly do to my system.

Chad

im not sure in general why people feel like they have to describe to one another why one product is better than the other.
You use what you use because its gets done what you need it to get done.
And if it dosent you try something else. But when every one is proclaiming that "yeah well mine does that too" or"mine does that too but mine does it better!"
It just belittles the validity of the argument to nothing.

As far as avid/digidesign being the microsoft of the digital recording world.
I dont know if thats a fact or not.
But i know alot of ppl ive talked to will go somewhere else with their buisness just because they think thats the case.
Industry standards change all the time.
Were talking about computers here, this is fast evolving stuff.
Who knows? maybe in 3 years pro tools wont be so hot and some product called "VIRTUAL TRACK MAKER FROM HELL" will be the new thing that everyone "has to learn" to be "industry standard".
A few years back every one was scrambling to get an ADAT!
Whoo! and the ADATer's were at an opinionated war with the Reel to Reeler's..........

Well look now....
ADAT is practically dust in this whole computer recording movement.
And it's the same thing with pro tools.

Use it if you if you think its the best way to get your music done.
And if its not, use something else.
But dont go buy pro tools because the big studio downtown has it.
Because when the tides change again,
That big studio is gonna be using "VIRTUAL TRACK MAKER FROM HELL".

Last edited:
Back