i need some help!

SeppukU

im starting a band and i dont have much money or any thing to record with so what equipment would be best for a guitar/singer to buy i have a guitar and amp already but i dont know witch mics would do me any good and keep in mind that i dont have a large budget and what programs should i use to edit and record songs with your help will be apriciated

I forgot the other part. Do you have a computer? If so, you have the makings of a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). You'll need a decent soundcard like the SoundBlaster Live Value ($50) or a better one if you can afford it. You'll also need a preamp for recording like the Art Tube MP, the new DBX Mini Pre, or a mini mixer like the Behringer 602a (each around $100). With some cables and cheapie software (N-Tracks) you're off and running.

The mics: SM 57 about $80, SM 58 about $100. Good for live performances, good for recording.

Guitar Center
8thstreet.com
musiciansfriend.com
zzounds.com
sweetwater.com
marsmusic.com
B & H Pro Audio
Shreve Music

Later

tdukex said:
The mics: SM 57 about $80, SM 58 about $100. Good for live performances, good for recording.
Lucky bastards
SM57 costs $130 and SM58 costs $150 here :(
cheapest SPC1 costs about $400
And the real pro gear hahahahahah
The moment I can buy stuff with those prices I'll start bashing B'ringer products :)

Keijo

Keijo, ever heard about Swedish taxes? Let's move to the US.
:D

But seriously, one thing you could consider is getting someone in the States to buy some things for you and have them shipped over privately. Then you'd be free from the sales taxes of our countries. Of course, this only applies to mics, computer software, and other gear that doesn't need to be powered, since they use 110 V over there. Some gear has a built in transformer though.

I'm getting a friend of mine in San Francisco to buy me a pair of MXL603's and a C1 and send it over. That will probably save me something like 150 Dollars.

Cheers
/Henrik

That would be f*ckin' dandy if I'd knew someone i the States.
I'm planning on buying excactly the same package as you (SPC1 and 2xMXL603). And am currently looking for places from where to buy them from.
Ofcourse the Shipping is quite expensive from the States?
I ordered the EWS88MT from Germany and on the border (seems we have new import laws I wasn't aware of :)) if the purchase is over $300 you have to pay the VAT (using tax as we call it) no matter if it's for private use or for resale, so I had to pay almost $100 to our greedy country :(. Bastards.

Keijo

Maybe some trustworthy person on this forum would like to help you out? I think shipping from the US will be a lot cheaper than sales taxes...

Cheers
/Henrik

Get Used microphones

Look on US eBay for used gear. Guys usualy take very good care of their babies. If they have a home recording studio it's their pride and joy,and mic's can last a very long time.
If you give a fair price on used,you can turn around and sell it if it dosen't meet your needs,for a fair used price and you haven't lost anything.
Shipping on somthing that small isn't very expensive at all.

Get a Cheap large diaphram mic.

And I think the Question was about recording not live stage.. So get one of the very inexpensive large diaphram condenser microphones that are talked about all over this form .... really any of them can be made to sound great with software equalizer,filters and effects. you can search the internet and download tons of these things for free.

Back