I need some help setting up my monitors.......

notreally

I just bought an Echo Mia soundcard and a pair of Event TR6's. I like the speakers but I miss having the ability to just reach in front of me and adjust the volume. I need help setting them up to run off of my Yamaha mg10/2 mixer as opposed to connecting them directly to the Mia's outputs. Unfortunately, right now I don't have enough cables :( to try stuff out. I will remedy that shortly though.

Would this work? : Mia's outputs to 7/8 stereo inputs on mixer.
Then the stereo outputs on the mixer to my monitors. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing here. :)

My intention is to set up my mixer right next to my PC so I can reach over and adjust the monitor output accordingly.

How does running signal out from the soundcard back to the mixer affect things?

Thanks for your help.

You can definately do that. If you use the mixer preamps as a front end for the sound card, use the inserts as outputs to the computer. It's really the only way (and actually the best way) you could hook it up to avoid a feedback loop.

Track Rat said:
You can definately do that. If you use the mixer preamps as a front end for the sound card, use the inserts as outputs to the computer. It's really the only way (and actually the best way) you could hook it up to avoid a feedback loop.

So, I would have to change what inserts (as outputs) I use to correspond with what input channels I want to record from?

Will this avoid having "info" from the other channels "bleed" into what I'm trying to record?

Thanks for your help, man.

For anyone that's familiar with the Mia and the mg10/2.........some exact instructions would be very cool :)

Thanks.

notreally said:

Will this avoid having "info" from the other channels "bleed" into what I'm trying to record?

Thanks for your help, man.
Exactly. Say, the output of your sound card goes to channels 7/8 of the mixer for playback as you suggested. No problem there. You patch microphones (for the sake of this example) to channels 1 and 2. You would then plug two cables into the inserts of channels 1 and 2 to the inputs of the sound card. That way you get a cleaner signal going to tape (since you're not going thru all the circuitry of the mixer) and no "crosstalk".

Track Rat said:
Exactly. Say, the output of your sound card goes to channels 7/8 of the mixer for playback as you suggested. No problem there. You patch microphones (for the sake of this example) to channels 1 and 2. You would then plug two cables into the inserts of channels 1 and 2 to the inputs of the sound card. That way you get a cleaner signal going to tape (since you're not going thru all the circuitry of the mixer) and no "crosstalk".

Gotcha. Thanks a ton. :D

Track Rat said:

One more question......... it says in my mixer manual that I need special cables to use the insert I/O's. I can't just use a normal 1/4 cable?

Yes you can Just plug it in to the first "click". Now if you wanted to use the inserts as inserts, you'd need a special cable( a stereo type cable and connector at one end that fans out to two mono connectors at the other end).

Track Rat said:
Yes you can Just plug it in to the first "click". Now if you wanted to use the inserts as inserts, you'd need a special cable( a stereo type cable and connector at one end that fans out to two mono connectors at the other end).

You're the man. Thanks a lot.

Back