I Need Some Equipment Help

Jae Little

I’m planning on spending some money on my career so I narrowed down some equipment. I’m going to list the things I’m going to get and then I’ll tell you my problem.

Recording Equipment
Lynx Studio LynxTWO-B Soundcard, Apogee Rosetta 200 AD/DA Converter, Apogee Big Ben Word Clock, Event ASP8, Avalon 737SP, Presonus Central Station (Controls Monitors and Headphones), AKG K271S Headphones, Shure KSM32, Soundelux U195, CAD M9, ADK Vienna, Audio-Technica AT4050, and Programs: Cubase SE/Waves Diamond Bundle/Antares Autotune.

Production Equipment
Korg Triton Le 61 Key Workstation, Roland Juno-D 61 Key Synth, Mackie DFX-12 Mixer: $249, MOTU MIDI Express XT, MPC2000XL Production Center, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Roland Fantom XR, Stanton SA-5, and Stanton T.60X Direct Drive Turntable.

Now, I was told I don’t need the DFX-12 because I was getting the Presonus Central Station. Since I’m going to route the monitors and headphones to the Presonus Central Station. So do I actually need it because someone else asked me “Where is my audio from my production equipment going?” I need to know, where is it going to go? I’m confused on this one. I need to know this because I was planning on taking the DFX-12 off the list.

How do I hook everything up? I know how to hook some of it up like Microphone > Preamp > Rosetta > Big Ben > Soundcard. But what do I hook the Central Station and MOTU MIDI Express XT up to?

Jae Little said:
How do I hook everything up?

If you need to ask this question you need start smaller. Every piece of gear in a studio has to be there for a reason, and the reason for it's presence comes from the need for it. The need for it comes from a musical need.

If you have the Central Station on your list, but don't know where it goes in your signal path, that means you don't really know what it is for. Therefore, you don't really know for sure whether or not you actually need it. Same goes for the Big Ben, for example. You'd not route the signal from the Rosetta to the Big Ben, as the Big Ben is a word clock device and has no audio I/O. So since you don't know how to use it, you don't know if indeed you really need it. I'm not trying to be harsh, I just want to be straight with you and hopefully save you some money. You can always add gear later as you learn more, there's no sense in blowing a wad of cash up front on stuff that might not really be needed at this time.

So again, start simple and small and build your studio bit by bit as the musical need dictates.

As far as the midi Express, yes you need that if you are using those synths. The midi interface goes between the computer and the synths, and routes midi data back and forth. If it is a USB interface, you'd plug it into a USB port on the computer, and install the proper drivers.

But again, I'd recommend starting a lot smaller and add gear only on a "need" basis. Since you know you need vocals, that's a great place to start but just skip the Big Ben for now. Then add one synth and the midi interface and get used to using that. Then add the MPC (also connected to the midi interface).

I sure wish I had a budget like that BEFORE I knew what each piece was for! :)

Welcome to the board.

SonicAlbert said:
If you have the Central Station on your list, but don't know where it goes in your signal path, that means you don't really know what it is for.
I know what it's for, it's so I can run my monitor outs from the soundcard to the PCS. It's so I can hook my monitors and headphones up to. I can use the talkback feature to talk to artist in the booth.
SonicAlbert said:
Same goes for the Big Ben, for example. You'd not route the signal from the Rosetta to the Big Ben, as the Big Ben is a word clock device and has no audio I/O.
One of my friends have the Rosetta 200 and Big Ben. He told me to hook it up like so for example: Microphone>737SP>Rosetta 200>Big Ben>Soundcard. So I'm guessing he was wrong on that, so he much have his hooked up wrong but his has been like that for awhile now. And I know that it doesn't have any audio I/O. I read about that also.
SonicAlbert said:
As far as the midi Express, yes you need that if you are using those synths. The midi interface goes between the computer and the synths, and routes midi data back and forth. If it is a USB interface, you'd plug it into a USB port on the computer, and install the proper drivers.
Ok, I understand that. I know why I need the MIDI Express but do I actually need the DFX-12?

As for why I'm getting this setup is because I know this equipment can get me near perfect quality. That's what I'm looking for, not decent and not okay. I was looking for that perfect quality, I know I can learn this equipment because I learn fast and I've learn my old setup pretty fast. This is my upgrade. I'm trying to step my gave up now. I know how to hook everything up, it just came out wrong and I didn't recognize it.

I was going to get something like this: E-MU 1212M, Safe Sound P1 Audio Processor, FMR RNC, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2A, and Mackie Big Knob. With all the same mics and production equipment. But I just left something like that, I need better equipment because I'll be recording a lot people, not just myself. Like I said, I'm trying to step my game up.

i think your game is only gonna step up with more experience. hey, i could be wrong so why don't you buy me a couple of neumann mics and let's see. :D

seriously, what is it about your current equipment that limits you now?

What's your recording space like? If it's not setup properly (acoustics and all) your gear will just give you a pristine recording of a crappy recording space. I learned this the hard way when I had a Neumann going into a Great River to record in my noisy and echo'y basement.

As for why I'm getting this setup is because I know this equipment can get me near perfect quality. That's what I'm looking for, not decent and not okay. I was looking for that perfect quality, I know I can learn this equipment because I learn fast and I've learn my old setup pretty fast.

Okay, like I said, I didn't want to be too hard on you but it looked a little like you had listed a bunch of gear that your read about on message boards and didn't know how to use. If you can afford to get all that gear, then I say more power to you! It will be a powerful setup. After reading your post again I do have a few more comments:

I think Cubase SE is underpowered software for what you want to be a professional studio. By professional I mean you will have other people into your studio and will be recording and mixing them, presumably for money. I'd suggest you go with something like Sonar or Nuendo, or any of the more full featured programs out there. I really think this is important.

Second, I find hardware mixers to be very helpful and necessary in certain circumstances. Since you will be using a number of hardware synths I think a mixer is a good idea, as it allows you to listen to them all and provides easy routing to your soundcard. However, I'm not sure the CFX-12 is the right mixer. That's a live mixer and it seems what you need is a small studio mixer. A 1402 VLZ PRO, 1642 VLZ PRO, or even better and Onyx 1220 or 1620 would seem to me to be better options. I think you would be better off putting fx on your synths on recorded tracks in software rather than using the onboard fx on the CFX-12. So to me the CFX-12, which is aimed at being a live board, is not quite the right board.

Also, you might want to consider holding off on the Big Ben until you see how you like the sound of the Rosetta without it first. If you feel you need improvement at that point then the Big Ben would be a nice addition. Where a unit like the Big Ben is great is when you get a lot of digital gear that needs to be clocked together.

Another thing to budget for would be some expansion boards for the Fantom XR. Which board you get will depend on your style of music, but I've found many of Roland's SRX boards to be quite useful. The Fantom XR is a great module, as is the Yamaha ES. I also like the Triton Le very much, but am not crazy about the Roland Juno-D. When it comes to synths, be *sure* to go to the store and check them out in person. You can tell in a split second what inspires you and what doesn't. Obviously, only buy what absolutely inspires you. If it doesn't help you come up with new ideas or make you jam on it, don't get it. I'm sure you know all that, but I just want to say it. I will *try* a synth because someone tells me it is good, but I will only *buy* it if it inspires me, and after I've played it I don't care what anybody else says.

Mics are kind of the same way. And on that subject, you might want to think about some kind of isolation booth, or some way to treat a part of your room so that it will be good for recording vocals or single instruments.

Good luck, you've got a potentially great studio there!

Gordone: I have a whole room to do everything in, it's actually the second biggest bedroom in the house and it's pretty big. I don't know the exact measures.

SonicAlbert: I feel everything you're saying. I went to GC the other day and they recommended either Sonar or Nuendo. I was thinking about getting Nuendo but I'll look into both programs before I pick one.

As for the DFX-12 I thought it wasn't going to work for me and no lie I was looking at the 1402-VLZ Pro earlier today before I got online and wrote it down so I can go to Guitar Center and check it out.

As for the Big Ben, before I got online I took it off the list as of right now because you're right I need to learn everything else and see if I like it before I get that piece of equipment and to see if I actually still need it.

Oh and about the Fantom XR, Triton Le, Yamaha ES, and Juno-D. I went to Guitar Center like 2 weeks ago and played with all of them. That's how I came up with them. They almost told me to leave because I was in there for so long trying to find the right gear to invest in. The Juno-D is a pretty good piece of equipment, I could most likely use it for a lot of projects. Honestly, a lot of people told me to try out certain pieces of equipment but I didn't because I want to get something for me not because they like but because I like it.

I'm happy you said something about the booth, I was thinking about getting a Whisper Room vocal booth. But, I keep hearing about this Clearsonic Isopac Voice Over Booth. They say it can give you the same results as the Whisper Room booth but it's just cheaper. I know one is a vocal booth and the other is a voice over booth. Or should I just treat a certain spot in the room? Which od the booths should I invest in?

Oh and last but not least, thanks for all the help. I think this will be the place I get all my help out when I need. Y'all are real helpful around here.

Back