I need Pre's!!

kizza

G'day all,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Having just got a HD24 for recording individuals in a choir, I need suggestions of where I can get a simple rack of mic preamps to feed my HD24, I do all my mixing in post in a DAW so I'm not after a mixer with lots of preamps, nor do I need any other features like a firewire interface (thats what the hd24/fireport is for!!).

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks heaps in advance

How silly that I didn't mention, at this stage, I am really looking for quantity over quality. I've got 24 chs that I potentially need mic pre's for, being a church project the budget is tight but I'm not being unrealistic in my expectations either. I allready have a firepod that does 8 chs but I don't see the need to pay the premium for another firepod (because that includes the analog/digital interfaces that I don't need). I just need pure pre's :)

--EDIT--
Rack mountable is a plus as well. Essentially I'm looking for something in the firepods form factor with stacks of pre's and nothing I don't need. I tried searching but came up short

Kizza, if you really dont care about quality that much, I'd get a small mixer. That would be you cheapest way out. For a church, why do you think you need 24 tracks? What instruments? You can but cheap 8 channel rack pre's. I cant remember brands, check ebay, for 100-200 dollars but they are rather poor. For 200-300 buck you can get a mixer,24 channel, run everything throught that for now, when budget is there slowly but good pre's.

Thanks, Jmorris.

I'll be recording a choir, I know full well what I want isn't exactly the right way but I have reasons out of my control why I would need a track on a singer by singer basis (lets just leave them as political ok ;) )

If you can recall any of those brands, that would be great. The problem with the mixer is that to me in this application, the whole ch strip is worthless.

Let me find that info, but in the meantime...a mixer will do tha same as a rack of pre's. You can still track chanel by chanel, you dont need to use a chanels eq. or fx if it has any. With a 24 chanel mixer you can have 24 separate out's to the HD24 the same way is if you had a rack of pre's. What is your price range?
Jim

Studio Projects SP828 is excellent for the money (8 channels for about $600). I use one in front of an HD24. There's a guy here by the name Gilliland who uses three of them.

If your budget is way tighter, then a mixer is the way to go. Though my SP828 is a bit nicer than budget mixer preamps. Much more portable than a mixer too - everything fits nicely in a small road rack for location recording.

They seriously want you to record a choir with individual mics on everyone? Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. They want to be able to autotune each voice or something? Come on, please explain... :)

I have been through that bit before. Choir wants sep. mic's on each person. I recomended not to. If they are not total pro. it may very well throw them off. They are used to hearing the person next to them and being more of an ensenble. I had a long conversion with director of similar project about NOT having everyone on a mic. It got vetoed, they later re-did it all my way..at their cost.

Do you need 24ch,16ch,8ch, or 2ch of pre? Are you trying to track each performer at seperate times? What is you mic collection looking like? Are you looking at 24 performers? Sounds like a fun project gone horribly wrong for "political reasons"!

Hi kizza, I can feel your pain! I bought a HD24 last year as the thought of using a computer for live recording scared me (and everyone else!) to death, but since then the market has been saturated with firewire soundcards and people linking their firefaces to their laptops and saying it's the best thing ever!

So I've succumbed and ordered a Presonus firestudio, 8Pres but importantly it has a standalone mode with 16 ADAT channels.

But if I wanted to add another 8 Pres (on the cheap) with 8 ADAT channels, I would look at a Behringer ADA8000.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun04/articles/behringerada.htm

I have a big problem with the maker's rep, but I haven't seen a bad review for this one yet. And for the price it's a steal

FMR Audio RNP $475 street price per 2-channel unit. Analog in - analog out. Excellent performance. Nothing can touch it until you get close to 1K per channel. Full disclosure: I'm an FMR dealer but only because their products are so good. I do not use, recommend, or sell crap. Just ask Harvey Gerst.

This should work pretty well for your uses. $200.00. It is a few steps up from Behringer, while remaining at an entry level price point. I've had SM stuff in the past when they went by the brand name Hoontech, with decent results. The stuff does what they say it does. This is very workable gear without getting into a Focusrite price range. It also has a phantom power switch on each channel, which is a nice plus. You can also get a separate 8-channel optical compressor for some more bucks...

SM Pro Audio PR8 MKII 8-Channel Microphone Preamp

Here's a pic:

PR8MKII_front-4cc8bbb75615f785edda0890353f9d69.jpg

An ADAT interface is available for another hundred bucks.

Here's a pic of the ADAT card:

PR8IIA_hires_1-b7891dcfdad87c7afa5d8bc724f1bd1a.jpg

Last edited:
Back