i need opinions on my mix

random effect

I've been recording and mixing my bands cd in house for about 3 months now and think I finally have something i can live with. I've got an mxl 990 condenser, alesis 3630 comp, two cheap fender mics, marshall and ampeg amps for bass and guitar, pearl export kit, and a kinda shitty room with little sound-proofing. If you could check out my site on myspace and tell me what you think I could do in the mix to make it better, that would be great.

Keep in mind, the quality is degraded in myspace by the player. i guess to save bandwidth they sacrificed quality.

www.myspace.com/randomeffect

thanks

Last edited:
I really need some feedback on this guys!! the cd is ready to drop, we have the album art and everything. I just need to know what you guys think.

lol, umm ok.. but first i THINKKKKKKK we might need some kind of a link or somethin.... but thats just my guess, i could be wrong :p :p

The drum tracking really suffers from the room, and rather uneven performance. Try to get the drums in a bigger room, and borrow a second MXL, throw the Fenders on kick and snare, but rely on the MXL overheads to get a more balanced drum sound. Edit and compress as necessary.

The rest of the mix . . . it's just highly variable. Guitars come and go at different levels, different pan, different EQ. There is waaay too much verb, you've pushed everything too far back.

Honestly this still needs lots of work, don't get discouraged though, try to learn one thing at a time to make your mixes better. The songs are good, so this material can make a good recording with more work.

well luckily every track that i added reverb to is a copy track and i can reduce it in the mix, about the panning, is it too distracting? Is that what you meant? I kinda like how it pans out differently sometimes but my opinion is not what matters at this point. I appreciate the constructive critique. peace

random effect said:
well luckily every track that i added reverb to is a copy track and i can reduce it in the mix, about the panning, is it too distracting? Is that what you meant? I kinda like how it pans out differently sometimes but my opinion is not what matters at this point. I appreciate the constructive critique. peace

It's really hard to say. The panning itself might be OK, it's hard to tell with so many other things needing attention. It's a good practice to start with a mono mix, if it sounds good in mono, it should be easy to do a good stereo mix.

The fundamental problem is the drums though.

so what do they need? clarity? pop? I think i've tried everything i could in the m,ixing level for the drums but i guess in tracking is where they needed to sound better. The damn room we're recording in sucks shit but for the money we spent, I'm pretty happy and i've learned so much in the past few months.

thanks again for the advice

I think i fixed a lot of the eq issues by cutting some of the 5000- 10000 htz freqs from the drums. it got rid of all the excessive cymbal splshing and really cleaned up the mix. i cna turn it up now without it irritating me :) good shit!! I'll try and post some new mixes up on myspace

www.myspace.com/randomeffect

Back