I Need Help,...

eternalmuzik

Ok first off i'm starting a rock band, i got awsome guitar riffs and solos i can do them forever,...but when it comes to writing the lyrics, im stuck!!!! I'm used 2 writing rap and r&b lyrics and I know how much different they are from rock lyrics in a way,... if anyone has advice or anything help me out,....im only 14 so you think it sounds stupid,.....i'll have my studio pictures posted up here soon,.............

Hey there, Eternalmuzik. Welcome aboard! Michigan is a cool place, but I haven't been there in a while.

One of the best exercises for learning to write lyrics is actually to write poetry. About anything and everything. Any little event that hits you during the day, sit down and write something about it. Heck, it doesn't even have to rhym or look like poetry, but the more rythmic and even you can make it, the better.

For example:

"We walked along a busy road and talked about the future.
A future brighter than our past, by far, and laughed at our good fortune."

Just thinking about when a freind and I walked to dinner a few hours ago.

The idea is just to get used to using words in a creative way. Practice writing anything as much as you can and the words will eventually come more easily when you want to write lyrics. Better yet, they will come at odd times when you feel inspired.

Good luck! I was your age when I started playing guitar and writing songs- and I still have trouble writing things at times. :) Enjoy all the good stuff that you can find here on the board.

Chris

Hey Eternalmuzik,

Welcome

First things first---forget about the guitar solos for a bit--
worrying about them will get in the way of your creative
process at this point...

Increase your musical vocabulary--Did you know every key
theoretically has eight chords and with augments/sus.
potential for many more????

You can write kickin' rock tunes "modally" as well--meaning
using lines to develop rythmns or a combination of both..

Dink around with this stuff playing absolutely clean---add
effects later---

Get outside your comfort and listen to other genres of music
to see what's going on---Especially world beat stuff..

Lots of guys have brought what they've learned back into
rock....

Rap type lyrics in rock--Why not???????

Good luck..

Hey, Man!

I agree with all the advice you've gotten so far. One other thing you might do is really check out the lyric work of your favorite musicians. We all learn by example, you know. It's these great songs that are out there that inspire us in the first place. Look in the back of your guitar mags where the transcriptions are and really pay attention to the lyrics there. What moved that person to write about that subject? What's he(or she) trying to get across to you?

Sometimes when you're just noodlin around on the guitar a certain lick or riff you hit will suggest a feeling or maybe a group of words. Sometimes that group of words will evolve into a whole song.

peace

lgj

Good advice up there, Eternal.

Use any means at your disposal to get ideas or feeling out. Try ever avenue you can think of for ideas. 1,000 people will begin and finish a song in 1,000 ways.
Glean from the advice of other and your own experience as to what works for you and hone that down to a presicion tool you can rely on.

But don't stop looking for other ways to increase the 'flow'.
Good luck.

Back