I need help with vocals.....pls read

Dude, i feel for your struggle....im just not a singer, but i have fun doing it not matter how bad i sound....and you sound 10X better than me......

your second effort is definitely a step up from the one in the first post of the thread.....i agree about the volume and monitoring issues.....

also, simply copying a track and panning them doesnt do much unless you add something to the doubled copy to set them apart....maybe if you delay the doubled part 20-30ms or so....and i would still keep them dead center......

good stuff......

MIKE

A definite improvement. Still a little wavery - reverb and/or echo will help mask that, but it's better if you can nail the stuff dry.

The tone's a little better - I'm guessing maybe you didn't change the EQ, just sang stronger? Anyhow, the presence seems a little too hyped.

And I know you didn't ask, but the vocal punching exactly with the guitar rhythm as often as it does makes this sound thin - too bad, because the guitar sits nicely against the drum track. You might be able to solve that by singing around the beat, instead of exactly matching the strum pattern.

Still - good news. Your voice doesn't suck - keep working at it, you could be laying down some killer vocal tracks soon.:) Me - I have to hire somebody.:(

Re: Re: gett'n better

Pacifica604w said:
Singing loud is hard. Its a lot harder to keep pitch while belting it out than it is at a nominal level. Yes. I licked my lips a few times. I tried to gate it but was unsuccesful. I get real nervous while doing a take and end up licking my lips..... Not kissing the mic LOL... :)

Funny, I find it much harder to pitch when singing softly.;)

You need to overcome your nervousness and relax. The rest will come naturally with time and practice.:)

BTW the mix sounds good, though the vocals are too low ;) and the drums are a bit hot. I tend to like that though.:cool:

Re: Re: gett'n better

Pacifica604w said:
Singing loud is hard. Its a lot harder to keep pitch while belting it out than it is at a nominal level. Yes. I licked my lips a few times. I tried to gate it but was unsuccesful. I get real nervous while doing a take and end up licking my lips..... Not kissing the mic LOL... :)

hehe...I have the exact opposite problem. I usually stay right on when I'm belting it out, but tend to lose it a little when I try to sing softer. For me that comes from 1)being out of shape 2)losing energy on the softer passages 3)losing diaphragm support. All of which I know how to fix. That just comes from years of singing and some lessons along the way (I was a music major in college for a little while :rolleyes: and in the college choir my freshman year so I got private lessons through that. Plus I'm starting to work out again so I'm trying to bring my voice back from about 80% to 95% over the next couple months and maybe, perish the thought, to 100% by the end of summer. :D

Now back to you...;) :D. This sounds much better than the first attempt to me. I would still suggest that if you want to sing seriously to go get some lessons. I think you have some good starting material there in your voice. It just sounds like your voice is not comfortable finding the exact right pitches all the time. It's your vocal chords are like any other muscle. You get a kind of muscle memory where your vocal chords know right where to go to obtain a certain pitch. It's like grooving a golf swing. Just make sure you go to a vocal instructor that knows what you want to do with your voice. You don't want to get trained for an opera voice if you want to sing pop music (although some have made that transition).

Just keep on singing man. I think you have the raw materials, you just need to refine them.

Re: Re: Re: gett'n better

Jagular said:
hehe...I have the exact opposite problem. I usually stay right on when I'm belting it out, but tend to lose it a little when I try to sing softer. For me that comes from 1)being out of shape 2)losing energy on the softer passages 3)losing diaphragm support. All of which I know how to fix. That just comes from years of singing and some lessons along the way (I was a music major in college for a little while :rolleyes: and in the college choir my freshman year so I got private lessons through that. Plus I'm starting to work out again so I'm trying to bring my voice back from about 80% to 95% over the next couple months and maybe, perish the thought, to 100% by the end of summer. :D

Now back to you...;) :D. This sounds much better than the first attempt to me. I would still suggest that if you want to sing seriously to go get some lessons. I think you have some good starting material there in your voice. It just sounds like your voice is not comfortable finding the exact right pitches all the time. It's your vocal chords are like any other muscle. You get a kind of muscle memory where your vocal chords know right where to go to obtain a certain pitch. It's like grooving a golf swing. Just make sure you go to a vocal instructor that knows what you want to do with your voice. You don't want to get trained for an opera voice if you want to sing pop music (although some have made that transition).

Just keep on singing man. I think you have the raw materials, you just need to refine them.

Jag,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am definately looking into some vocal lessons. My wife is upset with me on the singing because she says that I'm going to have to work at it and its not going to come easy like most other things I do :) She listened to my song and started crying. I thought it was because I sung so bad but it was that she knows what the song is about. I'll share more some other post.

Thanks,

Jake

Back