i need help with this!

I'm sorry to say this , but... it's not about the mix..... The lead just dosn't go with the bass . Take out the bass compleatly or listen to it while recording the lead. one or the other has got to be redone.
(MyOP)

I thought it sounded quite good, you seem to have very nice mixing abilities.
But I have to go with the previous dude...the bass line should be more "linear" and less "moving" since it leaves nearly no room to showcase your lead guitar skills. Also the bass has too much high mids, it should sound rounder.

hmmm.... i thought the bass sounded a bit dull too me.............

If i didnt want to re-record a part, what would you suggest i do? should i put the bass further back in the mix so it doest mesh with the lead guitar?
or maybe notch out certain frequencies on the bass to blend it in better?

bryank said:
hmmm.... i thought the bass sounded a bit dull too me.............

If i didnt want to re-record a part, what would you suggest i do? should i put the bass further back in the mix so it doest mesh with the lead guitar?
or maybe notch out certain frequencies on the bass to blend it in better?
Honestly, if there is REALLY no way of recording a new bass part, I'd try to push it backwards into the mix...but the problem is really that it's all just too syncopated from beginning to end. The bass just messes it up in my opinion. If that was the desired effect, then it's yours to decide.

i see your point, if i were to re-record the bass, you suggest that i keep it laid back and simple?

bryank said:
i see your point, if i were to re-record the bass, you suggest that i keep it laid back and simple?
Yeah, more linear and 4/4 oriented. It would embellish your lead playing quite a lot, instead of fighting it. You could keep the current bass scheme at the beginning or when there is no lead.

Hey, nice stuff! There was some tension created by the bass, but I didn't find it too busy. It gave the song a bit manic quality that I liked. I assume you have other songs where the bass gets out of the way and let's the guitar rule the day, so I wouldn't necessarily change it here. Yes, there is a feeling that the tracks are fighting each other, but it seems more compositional than a mixing issue, and for this song, I like it!

cool! i thought the mix could be a bit better though, ........

i do agree that some bass lines could be a bit more simplifed when the lead guitar takes off. but in another sense.....i do also like that crazy/manic out of controll apprach to this song.

i thought it was the mix itself that made this song sound to mushy/cluttered. maybe its both the mix, and the playing!
LOL!

i noticed the overheads and cymbal splashes have too much reverb on them as well. what do you think?

after listening to it again, i think the song may need some overall clarity to the song as a whole. and the cymbals need more "sizzle'. i did mess with the bass a bit more, and i used some compression on it to sqush it down a bit, it helped somewhat.

Back