I need help to find equipment for homerecording

polkor

Hi
Iam brand new here so please help me.
The thing is I want to record at home(rap vocals) but always I was doing this in the studio
However amount of money I spent every time is quiet big so I thought easier and cheaper will be do this at home
I know I need practice, patience and time but everyone needed to pass through this
I have laptop with very bad sound card on the motherboard so it’s make it more difficult
I guess that I have to buy usb sound card and mixer
I heard that EMU 0202 or 0404 can be good alternative
Moreover what mic do I need to buy? I read so many posts regarding this problem that my mind went blank. Realy don’t know do I need dynamic or condenser mic. I read that condenser mic need isolation from everything but at home is hard to do this(ceiling, floor)
Next question is the dynamic mic need to be isolated?
The last thing are headphones because I cannot afford monitors
So please recommend me some good equipment
Mic less than 120$
Sound card less than 150$
Head phones less than 100$
Or should I spent more money on mic than sound card etc
I feel completely loss so please help me
Thanx a million

Okay, you're thinking along the right lines but a few comments:

First the E-MU interfaces are fine. However, be aware that the 0202 (unless it's changed lately) can't provide phantom power so it would limit you to dynamic mics--and even if you start with a dynamic you will likely want some form of condenser once you develop upgradeitis. Other interfaces to look at would be things by M-Audio, Tascam, Edirol or maybe the cheapest Alesis multimix USB mixer. All would work for you depending on the deal you find--but consider whether you need things like Phantom power and/or MIDI when choosing.

On the topic of condensers, they're not as impossible to use in a home situation as you've been told. I use them frequently in untreated rooms. You just have to be careful about how you position things--for example, stand in front of heavy curtains or something and try to avoid flat reflective surfaces behind the mic. The upside is that condensers tend to give a more accurate and detailed sound compared to dyanamics. Dynamics tend to be less sensitive and therefore less worried about acoustic treatment but this is at the expense of sound quality.

However, the mic choice also depends on what you want to record now and in the future--miking your huge Marshall guitar stack while you play death metal is a bit different than if you sing opera!

Now having said all that, given your budget, a lot of people have started with an SM57 as a first mic--and these remain useful even after you invest thousands in much more expensive mics--you can still throw the SM57 on a guitar cab or snare drum or something.

....so, I'd go with the 0404 and an SM57 initially, just to give you some growing space for later.

Headphones? There's another thread running on exactly that just now and since I don't know prices in your area I'll just suggest your read that. You obviously know that headphones aren't nearly as good for mixing as monitors so I won't waste your time with that lecture.

Don't forget to budget for a mic stand, pop screen and a decently long XLR cable.

Good luck and happy tracking.

Bob

im tryna find a mic as well lol ..i was looking at athe audio technica at2020..for 100 dollars..i read alot of good reviews on that mic and the company itself...im looking to get some new speakers..maybe some krks..i have some old beat up alesis m1 actives...they have shorts in the..hope u find what ur looking for..keep the music pushing

Save up and get an Mbox with Pro Tools. It is perfect for recording Hip-Hop. Marshall makes some decent sounding mics for around $100 to start. Start basic and slowly add bigger and better things to your studio.

Bobbsy is correct too about making sure you get a Pop filter and mic stand!

Back