i need help on recording vocals !!!

prozik

i got my mic setup in the booth with a pop filter(audio tecnica 3035) running to a tube mic pre(focusrite trakmaster) then it runs into the ( mbox ) and from there into my computer. everythings going great with a total dead sound and good levels.
my only problem is in the high frequencies specially the ssssss sound way too much of it.what should i do???
first i dont really know much about my mic pre.
second i dont know if its my mic.
so finally ive tried everything i know about recording.
on the mix down i use a de esser, eq, commpresor, and many other plugins that are helpless, please post anything is helpfull

The usual suspects/tips; Is this issue for just a particular voice? No mater. First off are you boosting highs (for other reasons) or does it happen due to or after compression? Could be the voice/mic combination, the voice happens to peak where the mic peaks.
Have you tried getting a different version of the mic's top end by turning it off axis or tried micing from above, etc?
Wayne

i never really tried singing from another angle so should i move the mic around,
but u know ive tried that there no his going in from where? maybe i need something to go before the mic pre? maybe a equalizer? i dont know im lost...

whats the mic end? when i bought my mic pre they told me it was gunna get rid of that hi freq sound. and i was gunna get a warm sound by add in the mic pre the sound sounds great except for that hi freq

do a search here for DeEssing or De-esser or deeser. There is an established trick where you use eq and a compressor to combat just the problem you are talking about. If you can't get away from it with mic placement or technique or whatever thats you do it. You can also do it in software after the fact on some DAWs.

From what you described, It sounds as if you are having
a problem with the source that your mic is plugged directly into.
your "EQ" Processor or whatever hardware your using.
(I'm not saying that there may be something wrong with
your hardware by any means)

Have you tried to possibly plug your mic straight into your
pc and then work with all your Equalizing later during editing?
I have had a similar problem before and found that it was
"RF" interference. (I was recording the interference, Therefore
couldn't get rid of it.)

Donno if I helped, But good luck

On the other Hand -

If all the problem is, is too much on the highs.
Then maybe you can adjust the "EQ" on your hardware
Before it reaches your pc?
(Maybe Lower the Treble or Mid ranges just a touch)
Donno. Good Luck.

I had this trouble at one point too, vocals and guitar. Different equipment but same prob. First thing I did was patch a monitor set directly from the pre-amp, this enabled me too hear exactly what's going too the pc. Low and behold I was getting the same sound right out of the pre-amp. I know big deal right? Well it is cause now I had eliminated the recording device, the software and the PC all at once. This leaves only the mic,pre-amp, and cables to look at. I left the monitors on to try too isolate the trouble which was mostly successfull. There was still a bit of "tinge". Since I was experimenting with one-shot recording to hear what the stage sound was gonna be like, I added a Digi Vocal 300 to manipulate effects on the fly. Well after tinkering with that I was able to get rid of any unwanted noise, even without any effects. This may not cure your problem but at least give a plan to pinpoint it.

ndycus1 said:
have the singer sing off-axis

This is a good tip. It is much more frustrating to try and fix this problem after it is recorded.

De-esser on the mic is what I use, it's the first thing my mic goes to after the pre. Sing off-axis and not too close. Some people defeat the "sssssssss" problem by singing perpendicular to the mic diaphragm. If you have a decent amount of gain on the mic, then you should not have to get so close.

But compressing and eq'ing and stuff after it's already recorded is the most frustrating way to deal with the problem because you've already recorded the problem. You want to prevent the problem from getting recorded in the first place.

Back