i need help choosing a 1/4" 2trk deck.

dragnalus

ok...so i have about $300 saved up and i'm ready to spend it on a used but good condition 2 track. but now i don't know whether i should go with a tascam 32, otari mx5050 b2, teac a-3300 sx, or whatever the hell else comes along that's in my price range. i want to know which of these machines offers the highest quality, reliability, etc. also, i plan on doing calibration and adjustments myself (i'm assuming a service manual would tell you how to do this). i think the otari offers a choice between -10 and +4 operation, but don't you have to resolder the pins on some xlrs to hook it up to anything? if you guys see this sort of thing a lot, then feel free to point me to a previous post. thanks.

I've used the Otari 5050 and the Tascam. I own the Tascam because it was cheaper and met my needs. I wish I could have bought the Otari.

Question: Can you get these things for $300 these days?

Carl

yes actually. i currently have two offers, one for a 5050 b2 with manual (albeit for a b3), hubs and take up, and one for a 32 with nothing. they're both right at $250, but i'm assuming shipping will be around $50. the only reason i hesitate about the otari is because of the issue with the wrong pin being hot. but if you think the otari would be better, i'll trust yr judgement as i am a total novice with these things.

I think the 32's a great choice.

I have one, and it's the same old story,... but I don't want to brag about the great deals I get, [like a Tascam 32 for $130]. I also got a Fostex Model 20 [for $105], and it sounds great, too.

I'd recommend both the Tascam 32 and Fostex Model 20, although I'd recommend the Tascam over the Fostex.

The Tascam 32 will run both 7" and 10.5" reels, and is a good, no-frills deck, with dbx as an add-on unit, the DX-2D.

The Fostex Model 20 runs only 7" reels, but has built in Dolby C, and has a dedicated sync track, which may be an attractive feature to someone who's looking to sync the reel-to-reel with another device.

so i take it you don't have any experience with otari machines? the general concensus seems to be that they're more "pro" than most tascam gear. also, how the hell do you find deals like that?

I have no first hand experience with Otari,

and while F/I the Otari 8 track may be very similar to other 8 tracks, Otari did not cater to the home-market at all. On the other hand, Tascam capitalized to-the-max on the home recording market.

I think the basic difference in the 'semi-pro' and 'pro' equipment, is that 'pro' equipment is likely to be +4/BAL operation. Some equipment runs on both -10/UNBAL and +4/BAL, switchable. I think there's nothing wrong with -10/UNBAL-type equipment, but by the spec, the +4/BAL operation should be less susceptible to line noise from outside interference, especially on longer cable runs. For the short runs of cable you have in the typical home studio, -10/UNBAL line level is fine.

In 2 tracks, I forgot to mention the Fostex E-2, which is in the 'pro' range. The E-2 runs small & large reels, high & low speed, [7.5/15ips], has a dedicatec 3rd sync track, DolbyC, and runs -10/UNBAL and +4/BAL, switchable. It's larger and heftier than a Tascam 38, believe it or not! [Don't ask me what an obscenely low price I got my E-2 for,... $202, mint!]

BTW, There's also the Fostex E-22, which is an 15/30ips version of the E-2.

On the Tascam side, besides the 32, [which runs -10/UNBAL], is the 42 and 52, as well as the ATR-60/2. Each machine is more high end than the 32, respectively. I believe the 42 is the version that runs -10/UNBAL and +4/BAL, switchable. The 52 and ATR-60/2 are +4/BAL operation only.

How do I get such great deals on gear? I guess I'm just at the right place, at the right time, on many occasions, but definitely not as often as I'd wish! I've missed as many great deals as I've made, but I've gotten a huge amount of nice gear at really low prices, much below average.

Hint: I'm an Ebay/Tascam and Ebay/Fostex watcher, [reads: hound].

Last edited:
Back