I Need Basic EQ and Effects help for . Please Help!

SeekingTheTruth

Hey so I have to record some lead vocals. I have an sm57 and sm58. I've heard claims that they are the same but I am leaning towards sm57 with pop filter. What's your opinion on that?

But my real plea of advice is...

How do you guys EQ vocals? Do you use compression or limiters before or after recording? Also... What basic effects do you use? Like reverb or others. And before or after recording?

I know It's a lot to answer, but I'm really looking for any advice in the best way to get the clearest vocals with those mics. Not room trestment or mic advice just simple post or pre production related advice that relates to what I mentioned before.

Anything is something!7

A) The 58 is tailored more for vocals (although the two share the same element).

B) Dynamics and other goofiness later - in the context of the mix. If you feel you need them during tracking, you're probably tracking too hot (perhaps considerably too hot - But that's for another thread).

A solid source, a decent mic, a decent preamp, PLENTY of headroom -- Start there and see where it goes.

Hey so I have to record some lead vocals. I have an sm57 and sm58. I've heard claims that they are the same but I am leaning towards sm57 with pop filter. What's your opinion on that?

But my real plea of advice is...

How do you guys EQ vocals? Do you use compression or limiters before or after recording? Also... What basic effects do you use? Like reverb or others. And before or after recording?

I know It's a lot to answer, but I'm really looking for any advice in the best way to get the clearest vocals with those mics. Not room trestment or mic advice just simple post or pre production related advice that relates to what I mentioned before.

Anything is something!7

I actually like a 57 on vocals better, but that's just me. They're basically the same. I always record everything raw (no eq, verb, compression, etc.). It's just better to do that stuff afterwards, since you can add/drop it. If you say, put in some reverb during the recording, you can't drop it later if you change your mind.

Sm58 is supposed to have a rise in the higher EQ band that favors vocals. But SM57, SM58, and SM7b actually have the same element AFAIK.

Effects "AFTER" recording in all of my cases. About the only time you want them BEFORE is when a) it's a live show, b) you know what you're doing, and c) simply no other choice. i.e. streaming / live broadcast / just not interested in investing anymore time than the absolute minimum on a project.

What I use effects wise. EQ to compensate for my gear. i.e. boosted high end to compensate for fake fur. Limiter to compensate for the content. i.e. door slams and other accidents are not items of interest. And that's about it. About the only time that I'd use compression is for something that had a mic too close or a source (vocals) that simply can't play well with others without it. Otherwise I try to avoid them when possible.

I am leaning towards sm57 with pop filter. What's your opinion on that?

I was drawn to this thread by your username. I have a unidyne III 57 I use with a pop filter and love it. Also a 58 which I really dig, too.

How do you guys EQ vocals? Do you use compression or limiters before or after recording? Also... What basic effects do you use? Like reverb or others.

I record most everything with flat EQ to "tape", and then EQ where needed during mixdown. I do, against what most people will suggest, use compression going in on vocals to smooth out my vocal takes.

Back