I need an egineer!

Yeah but that's in OZ money. What the exchange conversion rate?
And how many Alzheimers does it take to change a light bulb?

......To get to the other side.

:cool:

Yes, yes....

The irony of being taunted about money by people living in countries that are essentially bankrupt.... :D

I got the final copy back! I'm thrilled, I think it sounds great(after all this is the first track I've had mixed & mastered).
If you'd like to hear it, it's up on our myspace.com/vesselsofveritas

I got the final copy back! I'm thrilled, I think it sounds great(after all this is the first track I've had mixed & mastered).
If you'd like to hear it, it's up on our myspace.com/vesselsofveritas

Post it here in the mp3 clinic as well.

:cool:

I just can't see the economics in it for the $30 a track guy... but as long as you're happy, go for it.
it just depends on his financial situation and how much work there is for studios there and how many studios compoete for that work.
As a musician, I'm as good as it gets and my minimum is $150 a gig. But, if I have an open night and someone can only pay me $75, I'll do it rather than sit around with my thumb up my butt.

My philosophy is ... "Any money is more than no money" ....... I have a mortgage to pay and, as a musician, I don't make enough so I'll do whatever whenever to make money.
His situation could be the same.

5 tracks at $30 a pop is $150 .... that'll pay a bill or two or buy some food.
And if he really is good, he could very well knock all 5 mixes out in an evening.
He wouldn't do any serious creativity, of course ..... just a quick mix. But if he's good, you'd be surprised how quickly he might do them.

In the 80's, a friend and I would do songs for writers including playing all the instruments and converting their vague instructions into a musically acceptable structure for $75 a song.
We could do 2 or 3 a night .... that's tracking and mixing and everything ..... and the results were fairly decent. Certainly good enough for the amateurs we did them for and WAY better than they could have done themselves.

And if he really is good, he could very well knock all 5 mixes out in an evening.
He wouldn't do any serious creativity, of course ..... just a quick mix. But if he's good, you'd be surprised how quickly he might do them.

In the 80's, a friend and I would do songs for writers including playing all the instruments and converting their vague instructions into a musically acceptable structure for $75 a song.
We could do 2 or 3 a night .... that's tracking and mixing and everything ..... and the results were fairly decent. Certainly good enough for the amateurs we did them for and WAY better than they could have done themselves.
There sometimes seems to be this idea that a mix must be sweated, laboured and nervous breakdowned over and that it must take days and days. I agree with the Lt here. Personally, I want to get the thing out of the way as quickly as I can. Sometimes they take a day short of forever. Sometimes they don't !

"Any money is more than no money"

When you work for less that becomes the de facto standard pay rate. Customers readjust their expectations to the lowest price they pay for something. You work once for too little and then that customer never wants to pay anyone the full amount, and not just to you but to anyone. You are depressing the market for everybody in your skill range.

As a sound guy I will sit at home and spout off on internet forums rather than go out for too little pay. In the long run I get more money for less work and less stress and the sound engineering becomes a more sustainable activity.

When you work for less that becomes the de facto standard pay rate. Customers readjust their expectations to the lowest price they pay for something. You work once for too little and then that customer never wants to pay anyone the full amount, and not just to you but to anyone. You are depressing the market for everybody in your skill range.

As a sound guy I will sit at home and spout off on internet forums rather than go out for too little pay. In the long run I get more money for less work and less stress and the sound engineering becomes a more sustainable activity.
well it can do that. But my base pay hasn't dropped even a cent. I still get what I ask for from the people I play for. But on occassion ppeople who usually can't afford me get to find out what they're missing ...... I did say that it depends on the guys' situation and the local reality.
There are certainly situations where a studio can work for less or simply not work at all.

Muffin, The song on your myspace page is not bad, I've heard much worse from people that charge 3 times what you paid for an hours worth of work. Nice find!

Exactly. I don't do this for a living, but it's a damn expensive hobby! And considering what I charge my clients (in my real, paying job) if I were to compare that to the effort and time I put into mixing a tune, I wouldn't do it for less than a couple/few hundred a song--maybe much more (which is because I wouldn't do it by the song; it'd be by the hour).

F*ck.... I'd mix a song for 1$

God knows my mixes aren't perfect but I love doing it and to even make a penny of income from what little skill I have in music would make me proud.

Maybe to some people it's not about how much money you can make off of a person but enjoying what it is that you do and being happy you're making even the slightest amount of income/profit for it.

Back