I need a simple but effective way to record my guitar, any ideas?

poo_noodles

Currently I own a shure sm58 as my mic, and a cheap behringer mx602a for the mixer. I then send that to my computers line in. I don't really need the mixer though, I only use it as a preamp to the mic. I am needing other ideas on how I can record my guitar. I only need 1 mic input with phantom power, and 1 1/4" line in. I would prefer to have usb outs because of the quality. I have been looking at the m-audio duo because it only has the number of mic inputs I need, and provides usb out. Are there any similar products that provide the same layout?

forget all that. But NI's Guitar Rig. It's pretty new, so you might not have heard about it. It's a software that lets you build your own amp, cabinet, effects, and mic set ups in a virtual setting. It sounds great, and it's got a simple recording option for recording riffs and stuff. If it's just for your own little riffs, it's seriously perfect. Look into that.

poo.
1.if your using the sound chip in your pc its inherently noisy.
which is why people instead use pci/usb/and firewire solutions.
music123.com and zzounds and lots of other retailers have a slew of solutions better than on board sound.
2. you should not plug a mic into a soundcard directly due to impedence mismatch. its a complete audio engineering no no.
this is what mic pre's are for in your mixer.
3. you COULD plug your guitar into a mic modeller box like a jstation or
v amp (and there are lots of other devices that emulate amps) then into line in of a good quality pci/usb/firewire solution for recording on your pc.
hope this helps.

Back