I need a new $500 guitar

mharr552000

Here's what I NEED:
1. Neck through or set neck with NO heel. I need easy access to all of the frets.
2. 24 frets. preferably jumbo or extra large.
3. Floyd Rose tremelo bridge. Prefer Original Floyd, but licensed will do.
3. High output humbucker(s). Not necessarily active. Don't really need two, I just like to do that toggle switch thing.
4. thin, fast neck with a radius greater than 12 inches

What I WANT:
1. Neck through
2. 24 frets
3. bound ebony fretboard
4. active EMGs
5. Original Floyd Rose

It's looking like the ESP/LTD M-200FM for $399 is my boy.
Any other suggestions?

is that new? You can get a Yamaha RGX-1220 A, or the 1212A, there is another model also, forget the designation. Has all you want and the floyd is a high end snap in, not the threaded type.
They were built in the late 80s and are beautiful guitars. The 1220 A is two humbuckers with a splitter, the 1212 is humbucker and two single coils I think.
All very high end hardware and very good craftsmenship.
They go on Ebay for right around five bills. I have seen 3 in the last two months.

Here are some user reviews from Harmony central

Product: Yamaha RGX-1220A
Price Paid: USD 700 USED
Submitted 10/25/2006 at 06:16am by John

Features : 10

Solid pearl white finish

Super strat sculpted double cutaway body

Mahogany/maple 3pc neck-thru

Adjustable height locking nut

Unique trememlo that is kind of mix of a kahler and a floyd. It has horizonal pivoting rods like a kahler, but is low profile and has the fine tuners like a floyd. Very high quality and very stable, best Yamaha has ever made. They should reissue it. Top loading also.

Super flat, wide, and thin compound radiused neck. Ebony fretboard with jumbo frets, custom inlay on the 12th fret.

H-H active humbuckers with a coil tap, vol-vol-tone controls, 3 way switch

Sound : 10

This guitar was made for rock & heavy metal. I've tried it cranked through a hot tube amp, and through a headphone amp, it kicks ass either way. Noiseless high power active pickups have bite, and are very full sounding.

Action, Fit, & Finish : 9

Everything looks great. I dig figured tops more, but back in the 80's painted guitars were the norm.

With reasonable care I'm confident this will outlast me. The only backup I'd need is a 9v battery.
Yamaha seems to have forgotten then even made these high end RGX 600's & 1200's. I haven't been able to obtain any info from them at all. It's a shame, because this is a guitar they should be proud of, versus the crap they've made from 1990 on. Dumbasses.

Overall Rating : 10

This is a kick ass guitar that I'll most likely hang on to forever. If you ever get lucky enough to run across one, drop what you are doing, sell a few guitars, rob a bank, whatever you have to do to get it. Built to compete with the 80's soloists, and it shows. They are quite rare, and are an incredible value right now, well at least until the word gets out able them.
-------------------------------------------------------

I have a used '92 Ibanez RG760 in nickel grey. It has a Wizard neck with "The Edge" licensed Floyd Rose tremelo and an HSS comfiguration with Dimarzio pickups. It's pretty much a Vai model with all the electronics but without the vine inlays and the handle in the body. PM me if you're interested.

Back