I need a good quality mic for YouTube videos ($500 max)

tezebe

Hi, I am looking for a good microphone and can't seem to find any good resource that explains what I need and how to choose wisely. About 6 months ago I bought a RØDE mic and it is horrible. I paid around $150 and it is so bad, but I've been using it since then because I had no other choice. It's actually made to be connected to DSLRs, but I've been using it on my computer.

But anyway. I need a good one under $500. Even $500 is a bit much, but I am willing to pay it if it's worth the extra mile. I record drawing tutorials on YouTube, and if the audio quality is poor, I lose a lot of production value. So, one of those radio DJ microphones, with one of those metalic hand that can be brought to my mouth while drawing. And I can't find anything conclusive anywhere, since I'm not an expert in this field at all.

Please if you can help with your advice, let me know what microphone your recommend, as well as what auxiliary gear I need. Such as the "metalic hand" (I don't know the actual name for it), the round black foam thing, the mixer thing that powers it with "phantom power" (I've read a little bit about that but still can't wrap my head around it), etc.

Thank you!

Unless you're looking for "pro" audio, you should be able to do youtube vids (which are highly compressed) with just an SM58 and an ART USB Dual Pre interface (under $200 total). That, a stand, and a variety of colored windscreens (to keep your fanbase guessing) should be a bit of fun.
I'm assuming your $150 mic was the NT model. What sounds "horrible"? can you post clips? are you using headphones to monitor yourself? Does the mike end up in the videos?

Hey,
What kind of restrictions are in place? Can you have a mic right up in your face or would you prefer not to for video purposes?
Are you touchy about hearing keyboard/mouse clicks in the video, if you'll be using the computer whilst recording?

What relevant equipment, if any, do you already own?

If none of that matters I'd choose a dynamic mic and get as close to it as possible to reduce audible room ambience.
What's this metallic hand? Are you talking about those tensioned swing-arm mic stands?
It's not necessary to have one of those but I guess it could be useful.

The black foam thing cuts down on air blasts (when you say words like blast). You can get foam ones or nylon/metal grill ones.
Depending on the mic choice, it might not be necessary.

I'm assuming your $150 mic was the NT model. What sounds "horrible"? can you post clips? are you using headphones to monitor yourself? Does the mike end up in the videos?

The mic I'm using now is this: http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/...ode_VideoMic_DSLRcamcorder_shotgun_18881.jpeg

I know it's not made for computer use, but it wasn't compatible with my camera so I just went on and connected it to my laptop and have been using it like that since then. What I meant by horrible is not neccessarily the sound, but that it only picks up good sound when I am speaking directly into it. As soon as I move away even just a few inches, it barely picks up what I say, and when I boost it up in post it's all distorted and weird (naturally).

Here's a quick recording I just made to show you what it sounds like (it downloads the audio file automatically as you click the link): https://fs02n4.sendspace.com/dl/386...fd86b8/542070d1508b1090/dq7tsw/audio test.wav

Hey,
What kind of restrictions are in place? Can you have a mic right up in your face or would you prefer not to for video purposes?
Are you touchy about hearing keyboard/mouse clicks in the video, if you'll be using the computer whilst recording?

What relevant equipment, if any, do you already own?

If none of that matters I'd choose a dynamic mic and get as close to it as possible to reduce audible room ambience.
What's this metallic hand? Are you talking about those tensioned swing-arm mic stands?

I would prefer not having to speak directly into it, like I have to do with my current mic, since my primary focus is drawing and not keeping my neck stiff so I can reach the mic. The swing arm you linked is what I was talking about, if I can use that to bring the mic somewhere close to my mouth without being to concerned about it, and not have it blocking the camera, that would be great! I am pretty touchy about clicking noises and such because it's distracting to my viewers. I don't have any other relevant equipment.

Thanks for the fast replies by the way!

Got it, you need a mike that can pick you up at various angles well, but not get the keyboard and mouse clicks. Sound tricky. Let me give that some thought. Almost sounds like a job for a shotgun.

Got it, you need a mike that can pick you up at various angles well, but not get the keyboard and mouse clicks. Sound tricky.

Are mutually exclusive? If so, keyboard and mouse clicks are not as important. It's more important to be able to pick up my voice well without having to speak directly into the mic.

Are mutually exclusive? If so, keyboard and mouse clicks are not as important. It's more important to be able to pick up my voice well without having to speak directly into the mic.

No, not at all, but outside of a shotgun, well positioned to ignore your keys and mouse, you'll be hard pressed. everything else kind of needs to be in yer face or listening to the whole room (depending on the cardioid pattern). Watch the vid. it should give you what you're looking for, I think. If so, we can proceed.

The mic I'm using now is this: http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/...ode_VideoMic_DSLRcamcorder_shotgun_18881.jpeg

I know it's not made for computer use, but it wasn't compatible with my camera so I just went on and connected it to my laptop and have been using it like that since then. What I meant by horrible is not neccessarily the sound, but that it only picks up good sound when I am speaking directly into it. As soon as I move away even just a few inches, it barely picks up what I say, and when I boost it up in post it's all distorted and weird (naturally).

Uhm, moving away in which direction?
Off axis, or straight back?
Basically, the rode you have should already be a shotgun, and well suited to your needs,
so I'm not quite sure, why you have problems.
Just to ask a completely stupid question, you do address it from the end that is on the left in the picture you linked to?

Basically, the rode you have should already be a shotgun, and well suited to your needs,
Just to ask a completely stupid question, you do address it from the end that is left in the picture you linked to?

Hmmm. Yes, indeed. I didn't look at the picture of the mike. Should have. That is definitely a shotgun. Maybe what you need is a better way of positioning the mike so it ignores the noise more and your movement less...

I would prefer not having to speak directly into it, like I have to do with my current mic, since my primary focus is drawing and not keeping my neck stiff so I can reach the mic. The swing arm you linked is what I was talking about, if I can use that to bring the mic somewhere close to my mouth without being to concerned about it, and not have it blocking the camera, that would be great! I am pretty touchy about clicking noises and such because it's distracting to my viewers. I don't have any other relevant equipment.

Thanks for the fast replies by the way!

Ha...The very reason I asked. You can't really have both unfortunately.

If you can make do with having a mic right up in your face, or make do with hearing unwanted noises, it'll make your life a lot easier.
If not, you're looking shotgun mics, really. Kinda looks like your rode is a shotgun mic. It should be ideal! :eek:

I will forever point people to the Shure KSM series for excellent recording mics. I have never worked with a mic I liked better. The highest end ones are around $1000, but there are models around $400-500 which are still fantastic.

As far as the 'metallic hand' and 'black foam thing', I would guess you mean the mic boom, the pop filter, and the shock mount?

Phantom power is simply what it sounds like: It supplies 48 volts down the line to the microphone to drive internal circuitry and increase microphone response. (Don't send any phantom power to a ribbon mic unless you really know what you're doing)

-Rob

Just to ask a completely stupid question, you do address it from the end that is on the left in the picture you linked to?

In any direction. Even if I move back just a little bit, it no longer picks me up properly (you can hear it in the audio I posted earlier)
Maybe what you need is a better way of positioning the mike so it ignores the noise more and your movement less...

It's impossible to position it anywhere else. Since it was made for DSLRs, it doesn't have a long chord, just a few inches long, barely reaching the laptop, and if I try to move it away it disconnects. That's why I was thinking about getting a mic that is compatible with one of those swing-arm stands.

OK. cheap testing suggestion. Get a short (3' or 6') 3mm female to male extension cable. Plug the extension cable in and move the mike over the monitor so the keyboard is at 90 degrees to the mike's axis. You should be able to sit 8-12 inches away without horrible loss (at least not that you can't get back if it's consistent). This has a cardioid pattern, so turn the mike on axis while you type to see where the best cancelling occurs.

We're trying for ya buddy! :D

OK. cheap testing suggestion. Get a short (3' or 6') 3mm female to male extension cable. Plug the extension cable in and move the mike over the monitor so the keyboard is at 90 degrees to the mike's axis. You should be able to sit 8-12 inches away without horrible loss (at least not that you can't get back if it's consistent). This has a cardioid pattern, so turn the mike on axis while you type to see where the best cancelling occurs.

We're trying for ya buddy! :D

You know what, that might just solve it. If I had a swing arm and a long enough extension cable, I would basically be able to use the microphone way better. I mean, the mic is not BAD, but it's just not suited for the use I'm giving it, and it would definitely be nice not having to buy a brand new one.

However, the question would be - how do I make the mic compatible with a swing arm? From what I can tell, all swing arm models look like this at the end, where the mic is supposed to go:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTMyNFgxNjAw/z/Y4EAAOSwRLZT~wSg/$_57.JPG

And like I showed earlier, my mic looks like this: http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/...ode_VideoMic_DSLRcamcorder_shotgun_18881.jpeg

Is there a way to make these come together without resorting to duct tape or something?

The Rode Procaster will do you right. It's pickup is such that it will capture the nuances of your voice without picking up much (or any) noise. Very clear. Designed for vocal broadcasting so its a perfect fit for youtube vids.

Check it here>

Back