I need a critique!

I only listened to Alright. Very good!

BTW, It sounds like you record in much the same
way as I do. Acid drums + cakewalk + ...

Nice Job! I'm new around here and certainly no expert, so I don't know what kind of comments you would find useful. I'll mention couple of minor things that struck me about the first song, although I listened to all the clips.

Did ya try muting the left guitar between 00:12 and 00:35? That might give the second verse more impact when the whole thing kicks back in. Then another mute on gtrs and bass at 1:34 to 1:37 to emphasise the second "everything's gonna be alright", which is one of the hooks, and those power chords just after that line kind of drive it home. This song definitely has hit qualities - very catchy sing along chorus. Just my very humble .02

thanks for the comments guys. yes "alright" was recorded in cakewalk with acid for the drums. since then, ive switched over to cubase and battery for drums, although i still use acid for background loops and shakers and stuff.

Well OK...

As I've mentioned before... I rarely post in this forum or the MP3 clinic because.. well.. because I don't like having to tell people that their stuff sucks. :D

Which is why I get so excited when I hear stuff that's actually good... These songs are great. They may not exactly be my style (I'm not to into country or R&B) but they are some great mixes. Very professionally done. Good form mate. You've got some serious talent, and a good ear for production.

WATYF

Hey Chuck, so you did this completely home based - instruments/vocals into a mixer - from their into your PC with Cakewalk?

Is this mastered or anything? Production sounds great.

again, you guys are too kind. umm..
yes, these were done completely home based. everything was straight into my aardvark DP 24/96 (no external mixers or pres). as far as mastering, i did a few things in wavelab and the Waves plugins.
thanks again,
chuck

oh, don't be so modest.. :p

I can honestly say that these are the best home recorded songs I've ever heard, as far as the quality and the production. Tight guitars. Crisp vocals. Well balanced mix. Just as good as most anything on the radio as far as my ears can discern.

WATYF

I have to agree with WATYF...man it really sounds good, and it's great music too.

I'm a drummer, and I've always wondered the best ways to record drums with a DAW, running through an multiple input/output sound card such as your Aardvark DP 24/96. In my case, I would be running through a mixer and then into the sound card I would assume.

I see up above that you said you used Acid for drums? Excuse my ignorance, but what is Acid (if you get my meaning...)?

it really depends on which song your talking about."allright"louder" and "makes me high" were the only ones i used acid on (exclusively for THE drum sounds) "little things"thinkin" and "when im w/ you" were done with BATTERY, and the other two (new ones) were done w/ Reason.
heres a link to read about acid( its too complex to explain)
http://www.sonicfoundry.com/products/NewShowProduct.asp?PID=462
and again, thanks for the nice words, i really appreciate them.
thanks,
chuck

Man, I REALLY like Allright a lot! I mean a whole lot. That's a fine damn song. I'm jealous. Kinda reminds me of Lee Michaels, the sparse bass line and real open structure. I'd have to say that particular song's one of the best things I've heard in a while. Good job man! :D

I am a little curious, why does it fade out after just one verse? Is it unfinished or are you trying to limit what people get for download purposes? I'd like to hear the whole thing.

track rat, thanks a bunch.

the reason there is anly one verse on each song is because i only have limited webspace and wanted to get up as many DIFFERENT
examples as i could. i use this site mostly for new (prospective) clients, so they can hear a variety of the tracks i do w/ out having to wait for me to send them a cd.
chuck

Hm, Chuck, so you do this as a source of income? I may be interested in your services...I see you live in Nashville, I live in IA. Have you ever done things remotely? We can go offline if you want to. Email me at nwomacks@yahoo.com.

Nate

Good stuff there Chuck. All of these tunes are great.

I will comment on the first one as I found the guitars a little sharp sounding. I would have rounded one of the two panned guitars into something a little warmer I think.

Can you comment on the effects on Alright. Also there was another tune with a male vocal, I assume you, that had a great delay on it. What software or hardware is responsible for that?

Best stuff I have heard coming out of Cakewalk.

middleman, thanks for the comments. which "guy vocal" are you referring to? there are 2,"louder" and "when im w/you". i could only WISH that either one of those was me singing.
thanks,
chuck

Back