I Need A Book On Fundamental Recording Techniques...

Sydfan

Can anyone recommend a good one? I need to learn the basics, such as mic placement, miking drums, vocals, using effects, and compression. Does anyone know of a good book that can help me out?? Thanks!

I can't suggest the books I read (they're in Norwegian), but do a search on Amazon.com, they have alot of books on the subject...

And Sydfan, are you really a fan of Syd Barret? Oh my.... :p

SydFan, you don't need to post the same question in more than one place...

I answered your duplicate thread - "Modern Recording Techniques" by Huber & Runstein.

Blue Bear Sound said:

I answered your duplicate thread - "Modern Recording Techniques" by Huber & Runstein.

I was really excited for a second, thinking that I already had this book. I ran into the studio, and found out I was wrong.

I have "PRACTICAL Recording Techniques" by Bartlett.

Turnip said:
I have "PRACTICAL Recording Techniques" by Bartlett.
That one isn't bad either, but it isn't quite as comprehensive...

Actually, that one is probably a slightly easier read than Huber & Runstein's...

Another good one is Dave Moulton's Total Recording - but I don't recommend it for a novice.

Blue Bear Sound said:

Sorry. I posted them seconds apart because I didn't know which forum would give me the best answer. I apologize.

Here is my .02 cents.

Dummies Guide - 'Homerecording for Musicians'. Gives you a basic understanding / principals in simple English and it's a light read.

Porter

Back